Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked with soem guys and the first motorcycle aI ever rode was a dual sport. I'm considering getting a dirt bike next year. I'm not toatalyl sure what to be looking for. I was siftign around Honda's website. I figure I might as well jsut get a motocrosser, trial bieks jsut don't cut it if I want to tackle soem jumps or an actual motocross track.

I'm looking for light weight, easy to ride, durable, low-maintenance... and cheap.

I saw 2 bieks that looked good when I was checking out the Honda website. The CR85R Expert and the CR125R. I figure the 125 is all the power I need, but I might be able ot get by with a 85. It's cheaper and 30lbs lighter and alower seat height. (145 compared to 190). But the 125 also has better suspension with more travel.

Once I decide what I want, I'll probably look for a used one and then spend about $800 for a helmet, armour, boots, gloves, clothes, etc on the money I save.

What aer you guys's thoughts about dirt riding?

I was wondering if I could go riding sometime wiht someone that has a extra biek and try out a few different ones. I probably won't buy one until my bonus in the spring.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing. I grew up on dirtbikes and haven't ridden a real one since my old KX125.

If I do it I'd probably go looking for a 91-newer CR500(hopefully for under $2500). Why a beastly 500....SUPERMOTO potential. Cost to buy&run&maintain is about the same as any other 2stoke MXer

If you're dirtbike shopping you've got 2 major decisions to make...

1.) 2stroke vs 4stroke: remember a 2stroke MX bike will require a topend job (pistons/rings/gaskets...ect) every 10-15hrs riding time. And figure a new crank every season or every other if you don't ride it much. 4strokes you've gotta worry about valve adjustments (no big deal on a lowtech honda XRs) but probably would be pretty frequent with the new gen. hightech 4strokes (YZ426/CRF450/Husabergs...ect)

2.) MX vs Enduro vs Trail: MX(YZ426/CR250/125..ect) bikes don't like getting bogged down on lowspeed technical trails.... Enduro(WR426,KDX250,KDX220..ect) bikes are great on trails but only so-so on an MX track.... And trail bikes belong on the trails...don't try to take an XR250 motoX'ing

My opinion.....Go 2stroke(125 or bigger) and Go MX. twostrokes are easier to work on, cheaper, and more fun. Its also easier to make a MX bike trail worthy (heavier flywheel....ect) than to make a woods bike MX worthy. NOTHING is like riding a 250MX bike...once it "comes up on the pipe" ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!!!

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vtr996 said:
NOTHING is like riding a 250MX bike...once it "comes up on the pipe" ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!!!
That's why I'll probably go with a 125 for now. I'll probably scare the shit out of myself with a 250. I'd start trying ot do things I'm not ready for. I think the modern 125's are pretty powerful anyway.

I didn't realize you had to rebuild the top end that often. Sounds like a afternoon do it yourself job though. I don't plan on riding them that often. Kind of like track days, once a month or so, just for something fun and different.

The dealer by me usually has some sales at the end of the winter. I might be able to find a new bike cheap.

·
Moderator,
2,978 Posts
Cherry, i wouldn't get the CR85R. Youll be dissapointed when you realize most 10-13 year olds are on the CR85. If your looking for a used motocrosser I would definately go Honda and most likely go 250. I raced 125's all through high school and a couple years of college. The 125 probably has "enough" power, but the 250 is the ultimate. ...and please, for the love of god let me ride it Cherry. I've been fiening for some MX time. I had to sell my race bike a few years ago.

:(

·
Registered
916 Posts
cherrypicker said:

That's why I'll probably go with a 125 for now. I'll probably scare the shit out of myself with a 250. I'd start trying ot do things I'm not ready for. I think the modern 125's are pretty powerful anyway.

I didn't realize you had to rebuild the top end that often. Sounds like a afternoon do it yourself job though. I don't plan on riding them that often. Kind of like track days, once a month or so, just for something fun and different.

The dealer by me usually has some sales at the end of the winter. I might be able to find a new bike cheap.
Only downside to a 125 is that trails are a bitch. You think your 600 is peaky???....LOL

Topends are a snap- Figure an afternoon the 1st time....and MAYBE 2hrs everytime afterwards. Parts run around $150.

Checkout www.dirtrider.net and Eric Gorr's site(Twostroke GOD) http://ericgorr.com/Default.htm

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the 250 has the ultimate poser value anyway.

Boy now I'm getting excited. I'm hope that since unemplyment is high in my area, I can snag a used 250 for maybe $4000. They are only $6k new. If I get a older one, it will probably have a little less power, which is good for me.

Thanks for the opinions you two.

Anyone else have any opinions.

I'd still like to borrow one sometime first.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Actually, I was throwing around the same idea. Getting a dirtbike next year. I'd like to get the kid a little 50 but he cant ride alone right.:D

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
After my wife sold her F3 she wanted a bike for the dirt. I bought a '93 CR125. Peaky is not the word for it. I can't shift fast enough to stay on the powerband and constant clutching feels wrong after years of four strokes. When I buy a bike for myself I'm definitely going for a midsize enduro. Like a WR or DR400. I don't want shifting to consume all my attention.

·
Registered
916 Posts
bluebusa60544 said:
After my wife sold her F3 she wanted a bike for the dirt. I bought a '93 CR125. Peaky is not the word for it. I can't shift fast enough to stay on the powerband and constant clutching feels wrong after years of four strokes. When I buy a bike for myself I'm definitely going for a midsize enduro. Like a WR or DR400. I don't want shifting to consume all my attention.

To ride a 125 correctly you need to constantly "Fan" the clutch to keep you revs up. Totally different technique than riding a 4stroke but very rewarding when done right.

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Ryan (Slickrock) has a newer CR250 and an XR100...we went riding out at Buffalo and I of course got stuck with the XR. But for my first time on a dirtbike for more than ten minutes...I loved it.

I've always wanted a dirtbike...just could not rationalize the cost vs usage.

I ride the CR250 for a while too, it is ridiculously powerful....that's what I'd get for my first choice....CR125 second choice.

I like the trailriding better than the MX...it;s like mountainbiking at warp speed. :D

I have been seriously wanting a dirtbike for the past couple years....I would have to get an XR100 like Ryan for the girlfriend to ride though to be able to sneak away on the weekends.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Kruz said:
I would have to get an XR100 like Ryan for the girlfriend to ride though to be able to sneak away on the weekends.

XR100's RULE.

PITBIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
How about an XR250? I was generally riding xr100s at American Supercamp which was fine for what we were doing, but they had 2 of the 250s and they were a hoot and unbreakable. I was thinking about keeping an eye out for a used one for about a year now.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
Dont buy the CR85R

Its way to small for you Mike....................

Maybe if you could pull yourself away from Hondas............ Yamahas TT's are way cool bikes and they are 4 strokes.
The TT400 is now being raced professionally against the 250 2 strokes.
but if your looking for something cheap and fun........ Consider a used XL350 its a great bike and super durable, and of course a 4 stroke........... 2 strokes are a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I can tell ya this, you can get a good used motocross bike for $2500, and I am talking real nice. I just sold my yz125 to buy my ninja. If you are looking for a bike I will suggest this website...
www.motocross.com there is a very good classified section there. I used to be a regular there before I got in sportbikes. Definatly go with a 250... It depends on your weight and hight though. Look for bikes with pro circuit and fmf mods. I recommend YAMAHA, thats the best of the best, YOu might wanna go with a four stroke, easier to maintain. There is alot of work witht the two strokes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'd get a wr-426. How much are you going to hit the MX track? Do you really need a bike that can clear 85' doubles. Also 2-stroke are loud, the Wr is nice a quiet when the plug is left in.
The valves pads take about 1 1/2 to change and only about 20min to check. Don't get the Yz unless your are going to be on the track MX or supermoto, it stalls to easy on the trails and is louder than hell.

·
Mista Gimmie
15 Posts
Mike,
How ya been? Glad to hear you are looking into throwing some doit around. It is a great time but seems to be a pain in the ass to me coming from Montana. I wish I knew you were interested in a CR earlier as I have had my 97 250 out here since Feb. 6th, 01. I took it back to MT with me over July 4th and left it there for my father to sell or whatever. In all the time I had it here I only rode it once in anticipation of headind out to Ottawa. Never made it and I couldn't justify it just sitting around. I am sure it will sell for somewhere around $2500.

Happy hunting,

AV

P.S. As far as guys saying there is "a lot of work to be done to 2-cycles" that is crap. The most common issues with guys having trouble with them is not properly maintaining the air filter and not mixing the proper oil to fuel. Mostly the oil/fuel is the issue as they end up mixing too much oil to fuel. Enjoy the rip of a 2-cycle when you can as someday they will no longer be made. Also, get a 250, I have been riding dirt bikes for over 17yrs. and have ridden the common sizes of dirt bikes from 60cc. to 650cc. I have to give it up to the CR and KX 500s as there is noting like shreddin' it up with those babies! Anyway....the 250 will treat you right.

Again, good luck and have fun.

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Champ91 said:
Actually, I was throwing around the same idea. Getting a dirtbike next year. I'd like to get the kid a little 50 but he cant ride alone right.:D
champ we think alike...when my soon to be born son gets old enough he's learning how to ride. yamaha pw50 here I come

Where are some places to ride say 1-2 hours around Chicago thought?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Champ91 said:
I'd like to get the kid a little 50 but he cant ride alone right.:D
50's aren't just for the Kids anymore... I'm TOTALLY wanting an XR50 to playwith!!!! There are a ton of companies that make parts so adults can ride/race them....even full suspension kits/alum frames/ 20hp 125cc bigbore kits!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts