Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Rode a crusier for the first time

3K views 59 replies 17 participants last post by  12RPilot 
#1 ·
I was at a little BBQ this weekend with some of Will's friends. One of the hosts had a little Honda crusiser. A VRX I think. Super low seat. A little small, but he had some nice pipes with perfect baffleing. Nice sound without being too loud. IT really was fun to ride.

It was a lot more fun than I expected. Very relaxing and comfortable. It gave me the other half of what I enjoy about riding. The freedom and it still had descent power for zipping around town. The thing even shifted smoother.

Wiht all of the accidents we've had lately, 2 tickets I've gotten this year and I'm getting fast enough on the track that the street is becomming even more pointless, I'm seiously considering pickign up a crusier and making the F4i a full time track whore.

I'd like ot test ride one of the big crusisers first. I'll stick with Big Red..... I'm thinking a Shadow, or maybe the best of both worlds and get a Magna.

I could still hang out in the middle on a group ride and scrape some floor boards.:twofinger :laughing

What do you guys think?:confused

See less See more
#52 ·
Doc said:
Then you should get the ultimate "cruiser"... a V-Max.

Doc
I thought about that, but I want the runble of a big twin. and the power of a V-max would make me want a sportbike. If I want raw acceleration, then I'd get a 12R or a Gixxer 1000.... althouhg I haven't completely ruled out those 2 bikes.:D

G
#53 ·
cherrypicker said:

I thought about that, but I want the runble of a big twin. and the power of a V-max would make me want a sportbike. If I want raw acceleration, then I'd get a 12R or a Gixxer 1000.... althouhg I haven't completely ruled out those 2 bikes.:D

Go the best of two worlds... Touring sportbike.. hmmm BUSA..

#55 ·
Cherry

I love the VTX so I talked to a bunch of people that went from rockets to cruisers and they all have either a Valkarie or a VTX. They said that the Warrior was just a cheap wannabe of the VTX. Just my .02 but do what makes ya happy bud.

Mark:p

#56 ·
YZFRabbit said:
Hey Mike, you want a real good deal on a Beemer?:D
Very tempting. The thought did cross my mind. If I had deep pockets, I'd get at least 4 bikes. But if I have ot get 1... I think I want the real thing. Hell I've already done some research on peformance upgrades for the Mean Streak.

I can't really afford to get anything until the Spring anyway. You probably want to unload that beemer before then.

I've already done a test ride. PM me an offer and your best sales pitch anyway. If it's still unsold by March... I'll seriously consider it.

I have another idea... maybe I can just rent it from you for a while. I'll cover depreciation, insurance & maintenance plus a 10% service charge. If you're lucky I'll crash it and you can collect the insurance... win/win situation...well maybe not for me.

#57 ·
F4iDog said:
Cherry

I love the VTX so I talked to a bunch of people that went from rockets to cruisers and they all have either a Valkarie or a VTX. They said that the Warrior was just a cheap wannabe of the VTX. Just my .02 but do what makes ya happy bud.

The VTX is too big and heavy. It even has floorboards and that stupid heel/toe shifter. I sat on one in a showroom. They had smooth epoxy coated floor and I almost dropped because it's so F-ing heavy.

The warrior is too low tech. It has a air/oil cooled puchrod motor that only revs to liek 5000 RPM. It does however handle great and stops good.

I'm pretty settled on the Mean Streak. It just needs some engin upgrades to get another 10 HP. Nothing a PCIII, exhaust system and air filter can't fix. Internally it's got the right stuff, it's very mildly tuned from the factory... chalk another one up to the EPA.

#58 ·
cherrypicker said:

The VTX is too big and heavy. It even has floorboards and that stupid heel/toe shifter. I sat on one in a showroom. They had smooth epoxy coated floor and I almost dropped because it's so F-ing heavy.

The warrior is too low tech. It has a air/oil cooled puchrod motor that only revs to liek 5000 RPM. It does however handle great and stops good.

I'm pretty settled on the Mean Streak. It just needs some engin upgrades to get another 10 HP. Nothing a PCIII, exhaust system and air filter can't fix. Internally it's got the right stuff, it's very mildly tuned from the factory... chalk another one up to the EPA.
I can't remember but there is one with out all that crap, its either the retro or the regular one. Heavy or not though I could handle cruisin layed back with 1800 cc's between my leggs:-

#59 ·
I had a VTX 1800c model. The one without the floor boards and other crap. I put a Hard Krome Sideburner exhaust with a PCII on it. What a kick ass ride. It just was not for me. The riding position was uncomfortable to me. The VTX is the ultimate cruiser. It has unbelievable torque. If you are going to buy a cruiser, buy the X. It is heavy when just sitting on it, but when riding it is a cadillac with two wheels. Go to the cycle show in January and sit on them all under one roof before you decide. If you truly want a cruiser,get one. If you are used to the speed of a sportbike, you will be sory though.

#60 ·
Well I rode my buddies Warrior yesterday. I don't know what a VTX is like but his Warrior kicked ass. I was very impressed. His has pipes and a PCIII so it may be alot different from stock, I don't know. I had to get aggressive with the 12 to keep up with him stoplight to stoplight. I'm also impressed with the amount of aftermarket pieces available. I can get it for under $9K I think. Now I have to try to get a ride on the VTX and Mean Streak. I'm likin' this cruiser scene, but I'm keeping the 12.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.