Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
His contract with Michilen does not expire until the end of this month. And then there is a winter test ban for all riders from Dec 1st to mid January. Rossi won't get to test the new M1 on 'stones until Jan 22nd.

The same happened in 2003 when he switched from HRC to Yamaha. He won the first race of that season and won the title. To my knowledge, Rossi has never won a title w/o winning the first race. I think that if Rossi wins the 1st race of 2008, he will win the title.

Btw, I am sure it makes Casey enlessly jealous when people point out Rossi did that on a clearly inferior bike. LOL.

Anyway, how much do you think this test ban will effect him?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
rossi will come back with a vengence next year. he will put everyone to shame just like he did in 04

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
Btw, I am sure it makes Casey enlessly jealous when people point out Rossi did that on a clearly inferior bike. LOL.
I doubt it. He raced a perfect season and if the team put together a great package that doesn't take anything away from that. I'm sure he's just fine.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
I doubt it. He raced a perfect season and if the team put together a great package that doesn't take anything away from that. I'm sure he's just fine.
Nope...Stoner has been preoccupied with Rossi's comments all season. He's proved to be less than stoic in his short tenure as champion. He will be owned by Rossi next season.

...and J, me thinks the test ban just gives Rossi some more time to refuel for next season. The grid best look out for ole Vale.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
That's the same thing people said about Rossi last year.
Not I:)

This entire season has served as one gigantic test session. In retrospect, changing rules that drastically effected both bikes AND tires made it virtually impossible to catch up if you got it wrong...where do you even start in assessing settings when both parts are a mystery???? Ducati got it right. Stoner rode mistake free on a dominant bike. He got what he deserved this year...it will not be so easy next year.

...oh, and look out for Hayden and Pedrosa as well. Take a look back at what HRC has done in the past after being embarrassed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
2008 is looking like it will be very exciting.

I think Stoner has just ridden really well with the package they have. All the non-Ducati teams might be two years behind the package that Ducati has. And you know that Ducati isn't going to sit back and wait.

Aren't they readjusting the tire availability too? I think that will clean up the tire differences. And I'd expect Michelin to really pick it up...Rossi won't have a testing partner, so he'll have to do all the testing work himself. He's good at those set up things, so it seems, but it will add an interesting mix to the year.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
2008 is looking like it will be very exciting.

I think Stoner has just ridden really well with the package they have. All the non-Ducati teams might be two years behind the package that Ducati has. And you know that Ducati isn't going to sit back and wait.

Aren't they readjusting the tire availability too? I think that will clean up the tire differences. And I'd expect Michelin to really pick it up...Rossi won't have a testing partner, so he'll have to do all the testing work himself. He's good at those set up things, so it seems, but it will add an interesting mix to the year.
Agreed. I beleive that Dorna regrets some of the decisisions they made with regard to the rule changes as it really affected on track performances. Next season, IMO, will be the first true 800 competition:)

·
Jason Temme
529 Posts
There is no doubt Ducati / Bridgestone and Stoner had the magic combo this year. Don't under estimate them for next year as in most rounds they were way a head of the competition and I'm sure they are continuing to improve on things for next year.

Both Rossi and Hayden got screwed this year as Yamaha and Honda were throwing just about anything they could think of at their bike to make them more competitive (unfortunately there was nothing they could do to overcome the tire issues). Unfortunately many times the unproven parts turned out to be unreliable or didn't perform as expected.

There will also be hungry riders that could be a big factor next year. Ellias (I believe now on Ducati), Hopkins (Kawasaki has been coming on strong this season) and Chris V. on the Suzuki. Padrosa of course will be doing his best to upset the apple cart as well.

I think the biggest discrepancy this year was tires. It's now said that Dorna will not move to a spec tire so it's probably going to be Bridgestone on top again next year. Michelin, try as they may, has not been able to beat the competition without being able to manufacture the good stuff Saturday night and fly them in for the race on Sunday. They were spoiled with that ability for to long and it will take sometime to adjust their approach. I'm sure they collected a ton of data this season which will help for next season but whether or not they will hit the mark remains to be seen.

So....where does that leave us? With one hell of an exciting season next year and a new GP at Indy! Can't wait!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts