Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been looking into bikes with salvage and rebuilt titles. My question is are these bikes usable after being once salvaged like cars can i just get the title changed to rebuilt? And do people buy bikes that have a rebuilt title if i plan to resell it? Does anyone on this site own a bike with a rebuilt title?
Thanks in advance:mytruck:

2,306 Posts
Yes. I bought a rebuilt titled bike from a guy in Iowa in 2005. When I titled it in Illinois, the new title showed nothing about rebuild.
Also you need to know that in IL, unless you are a licensed dealer you can not hold a salvaged title. I was told this by the guy that we bought my son's race bike.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i have a Indiana dealers licence, I just never looked into this and I know nobody that does. Well Thanks for the info, you know by any chance why the title didn't say rebuilt once you registered it?

· Armed law abiding citizen
18,882 Posts
Years ago there was a "glitch" when a bike was retitled in another state, commonly the salvage part would drop off. I had a track bike that happened to. It has a clean Illinois title even though it was a salvage (all owners of that bike knew it was a salvage, no one hid that). Butch knows that Hix bike well, lol. The states have fixed that glitch though.

2,306 Posts
Yeah i have a Indiana dealers licence, I just never looked into this and I know nobody that does. Well Thanks for the info, you know by any chance why the title didn't say rebuilt once you registered it?
I have no idea how it came back clean. I do know it varies from state to state.
The rebuilt title in Iowa required DMV inspection and that may have something to do with it.

· Midnight Rider
3,859 Posts
I don't know how other states work, but IMO, it's not worth it to do it unless you're buying it for the track. You won't get your money back.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, yeah i just read a bit about that glitch a bit I guess they did fix the glitch it seems it also would work on cars back in the day. Guess that why we got carfax now people where prob scamming left and right. As for making the money back Im just hoping on getting a fuel injected bike at a good price with low miles, and as long as it treats me right ill hold on to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.