Samsung is supposed to deliver a combo Blu-ray + HD DVD player before x-mas this year. I like the idea, the price - not so much.
One of the most widely known open secrets of the CE world became official today, when Samsung formally announced the existence of the BD-UP5000 combo Blu-ray HD DVD player, specifically that it will ship in Q4 for a list price of $1049. In addition, Samsung wedged in an announcement of the $1,499 HT-BD2 1,100-watt Blu-ray 7.1 home theater in a box, and further confirmation of the two latest Blu-ray players, the BD-P1400 and BD-P2400 we also told you about. More details, pictures, press release, and a helpful spec sheet comparing all four products after the jump.
Here's what you need to know about the BD-UP5000:
• HD DVD and Blu-ray playback at 1080p
• HDMI 1.3, plus VC-1, H.264, HD JPEG decoding
• Local storage and Ethernet for HD DVD features
Here's what you need to know about the HT-BD2:
• True 7.1 system with four tower speakers, a center channel and two satellite rears, plus the sub
• Full compatibility with 24P playback (provided your TV can hack it)
• HDMI 1.3 output