Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no respect for this behavior, I'm pissed off just from reading this.

Move over, Dr. Phil, there's a new relationship expert in town.

He's Saudi author and cleric, "Dr." Muhammad Al-'Arifi, who in a remarkable segment broadcast on Saudi and Kuwaiti television in September, counseled young Muslim men on how to treat their wives.

"Admonish them – once, twice, three times, four times, ten times," he advised. "If this doesn't help, refuse to share their beds."

And if that doesn't work?

"Beat them," one of his three young advisees responded.

"That's right," Al-'Arifi said.

He goes on to calmly explain to the young men that hitting their future wives in the face is a no-no.

"Beating in the face is forbidden, even when it comes to animals," he explained. "Even if you want your camel or donkey to start walking, you are not allowed to beat it in the face. If this is true for animals, it is all the more true when it comes to humans. So beatings should be light and not in the face."

His final words of wisdom?

"Woman, it has gone too far. I can't bear it anymore," he tells the men to tell their wives. "If he beats her, the beatings must be light and must not make her face ugly.

"He must beat her where it will not leave marks. He should not beat her on the hand... He should beat her in some places where it will not cause any damage. He should not beat her like he would beat an animal or a child -- slapping them right and left.

"Unfortunately, many husbands beat their wives only when they get mad, and when they start beating, it as if they are punching a wall – they beat with their hands, right and left, and sometimes use their feet. Brother, it is a human being you are beating. This is forbidden. He must not do this."
LINK

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
In America we call it domestic abuse, and the statistics on the number of both reported and unreported cases is frightening.

Many take take this out of context to the Nth degree.....

You wives will submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of his body, the church; He gave His life to be her Savior. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives must submit to your husbands in everything. And you husbands must love your wives with the same love Christ showed the church. He gave up his life for her to make her holy and clean, washed by baptism and God's word” (Ephesians 5:22-26).

·
Thee original azzhole!
6,912 Posts
any guy that hits a woman deserves to get his own ass handed to him....and i for one will be happy to step in line 1st to do it...

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
I just don't understand the mentality behind that logic. I always try to understand the meaning behind other cultures and to try to see it their way even though it may go against my own personal beliefs but the ideas in that article repulse me so much that I can't even try to understand it.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
You wives will submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of his body, the church; He gave His life to be her Savior. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives must submit to your husbands in everything. And you husbands must love your wives with the same love Christ showed the church. He gave up his life for her to make her holy and clean, washed by baptism and God's word” (Ephesians 5:22-26).
Allah Akbar. You can justify anything if God is behind you.

·
Thee original azzhole!
6,912 Posts
its because of morons like that, that those countries are so far behind in the times and stop this world from becoming a better place then it is...they mis-represent the kuran bible and use it to any means they like cause they can...

and yet when the free world starts yelling at them, they point to thier so called god and say...hey...its in our bible...so we can do it...

its a joke plain and simple...those are the people that have no control over thier own affaris, so they have to exploit others to make thier beliefs felt...which is the reason for the suicide bombers...they are brainwashed cause they are a small minded people...and they dont know the TRUE taste of freedom...which is why we are still over there in iraq and afganastain to show them what its like to live in a free world and not to fear the terrorists...but the news only highlights the bad cause they are assholes...

and lets not get to crazy about this war stuff...sadaam had the weapons...he even admitted to them...and now they are gone...which is why they were never found...the taliban are still around and killing innocent people for them to try to keep thier stanglehold on thier way of life...which is nothing but torture and murder...people may not like our troops there, but support our troops none the less...stopping terror where it starts is everyones responsability...including not hitting women unlike this POS says...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yes Arch it is "called domestic abuse".
And it's punishable by law and not advocated on TV. This is a slight difference in our cultures. And when was the last time you saw a western based priest/preacher advocate the violence as a toll in marriage. And how does this quote resembles what was advocated by "Dr." Muhammad Al-'Arifi,
Submitting to a husband does sound bad and it was written some time ago, around 62 AD. And it does say that husband must love his wife to.
Not beaten in to submission and not in this day and age.
Playing devils advocate is understandable. But to compare encouraging modern day wife abuse to ancient text in which I don't see any violence being encouraged is just plain stupid.

·
Joe Momma...
3,822 Posts
Come on people how many dipshits are on American TV saying incredibly stupid things? Just cause one jackass in SA says it does not mean that all Saudi men go home and beat their wives if they don't obey. We need to stop looking at the nutjobs over there and applying their beliefs to their whole culture. That's like watching Jerry Springer and applying it to all of the US.

·
Thee original azzhole!
6,912 Posts
jojo...to a point you are correct...but for them to go on a radio/tv show and say those things...only lets the men who watch it talk about it and tell thier friends that may not have heard abot the show...and the shit keeps rolling downhill...you have to stop the shit at its source...plain and simple...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Come on people how many dipshits are on American TV saying incredibly stupid things? Just cause one jackass in SA says it does not mean that all Saudi men go home and beat their wives if they don't obey. We need to stop looking at the nutjobs over there and applying their beliefs to their whole culture. That's like watching Jerry Springer and applying it to all of the US.
+1

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Yes Arch it is "called domestic abuse".
And it's punishable by law and not advocated on TV. This is a slight difference in our cultures. And when was the last time you saw a western based priest/preacher advocate the violence as a toll in marriage. And how does this quote resembles what was advocated by "Dr." Muhammad Al-'Arifi,
Submitting to a husband does sound bad and it was written some time ago, around 62 AD. And it does say that husband must love his wife to.
Not beaten in to submission and not in this day and age.
Playing devils advocate is understandable. But to compare encouraging modern day wife abuse to ancient text in which I don't see any violence being encouraged is just plain stupid.
Many extreme/hijacked flavors of Christianity treat the wife as property, the same as many cultures unfortunately do around the world.
You are putting an artificial 'authority' upon Dr. Al-Adifi as if what he says holds true to command all Muslims. I'm calling that very thing Bunk. If he's advocating that, then I would put him in the category of the same people in this country that says the Bible commands you to hit your kids as punishment

Here's a Nun doing it: http://www.nospank.net/n-j51.htm I would argue that Just because she's a nun doesn't mean she's the 'authority' on what the Bible commands, even though she claims she was doing just as commanded.

So, why do you give the Dr. mentioned above some credibility as to speaking as a whole for all Muslims? He has none, the same as the Nun.

Every Muslim I know who follows the Sharia also does not take them literally like the Dr. is 'commanding'. They respect their family. Hitting is not respecting. Think of it much the same way people have turned to a more metaphoric interpretation of the Bible instead of a literal.

So, in short, you've accepted what the Good Dr. above says as fact and command of all Muslims in the world, and it's simply not true. He's but one of many men in the world on a power trip trying to appeal to other men who have fantasies about power trips and authority.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
In America we call it domestic abuse, and the statistics on the number of both reported and unreported cases is frightening.
In Meech-land I call it justifiable homicide :nutkick: :cheers:

maybe I should start teaching classes for the women ;)

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Arch, the defender of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Arch with all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about.
There are many great Muslim people and some good values to be seen. But some areas of their culture is very much backward and wrong to say at least.
I lived in a Muslim country and general sentiment is that women are generally inferior. Can be regarded as mans ownership. Widowed women are taken by the brother of the deceased. That’s F*cking wrong. And even traded for livestock in some areas. And for woman to prove she was raped and avoid being stoned to death woman needs three MUSLIM WITNESES. Not you and I or just any old folk. But Muslim ones. And I can go on for days about practices that most couture’s abolished if they ever ware in their teaching. But persist to this day in Muslim teachings.
And a lone nun or two do not represent a general public opinion in our culture.

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Arch with all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about.
There are many great Muslim people and some good values to be seen. But some areas of their culture is very much backward and wrong to say at least.
I lived in a Muslim country and general sentiment is that women are generally inferior. Can be regarded as mans ownership. Widowed women are taken by the brother of the deceased. That’s F*cking wrong. And even traded for livestock in some areas. And for woman to prove she was raped and avoid being stoned to death woman needs three MUSLIM WITNESES. Not you and I or just any old folk. But Muslim ones. And I can go on for days about practices that most couture’s abolished if they ever ware in their teaching. But persist to this day in Muslim teachings.
And a lone nun or two do not represent a general public opinion in our culture.
I don't disagree that there's a segment of the population that believes women are inferior. I stated that initially that it's even shared by segments in the western cultures. It's not a 'lone nun or two' either here.

http://www.endabuse.org/resources/facts/

If you want Illinois specific stats, here ya go: http://www.ncadv.org/files/Illinois.pdf

It's a WORLD problem that people deem others as 'inferior'. The root cause is all the same; the belief that one is 'superior' to another. Whether you learn it from someone publishing a HOW-TO guide, hear it on the TV, read it in a magazine, hear it in a sermon or simply grow up watching Dad do that to Mom or watch Mom's guy of the week do that to her.. it's the same bullshit.

Is it more 'accepted' and out in the open there? Of course it is, but don't try to pretend for a moment that it does not happen here. It just happens more behind closed doors, but the belief basis is the same thing. "Women are inferior". That's what starts it in both places.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So very glad I took self defense classes and some Kempo (when I could afford to).... :)

just in case I ever find some reject (this could be any male that stupid from any country) who decides good ole' fashioned beatings for women, children and animals is back in fashion.

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
False sense of security WOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Quite the contrary. Those women with self confidence have a statistically less chance of being a victim because the perps (generally speaking) go after the easier targets of those with low or no self esteem to begin with.

Women w/ confidence in themselves carry themselves in a more commanding presence and most people looking for someone to control will pick an easier looking target.

It's not a 100% guarantee, by the numbers, that holds true.

·
8,299 Posts
Quite the contrary. Those women with self confidence have a statistically less chance of being a victim because the perps (generally speaking) go after the easier targets of those with low or no self esteem to begin with.

Women w/ confidence in themselves carry themselves in a more commanding presence and most people looking for someone to control will pick an easier looking target.

It's not a 100% guarantee, by the numbers, that holds true.
You know I don't bother to read your posts, right?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts