·
VTwin FTW!
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can this be true???:wtf: If so, they should be arrested for treason!:beltfed

33 Senators Voted Against English as America 's Official Language June 6, 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 23:35:23 -0500, "Colonel Harry Riley USA ret" wrote:
Senators,

Your vote against an amendment to the Immigration Bill 1348, to make English America's offical language is astounding. On D-Day no less when we honor those that sacrificed in order to secure the bedrock character and principles of America I can only surmise your vote reflects a loyalty to illegal aliens.
I don't much care where you come from, what your religion is, whether you're black, white or some other color, male or female, democrat, republican or independent, but I do care when you're a United States Senator, representing citizens of America and vote against English as the official language of the United States
Your vote reflects betrayal, political surrender, violates your pledge of allegiance, dishonors historical principle, rejects patriotism, borders on traitorous action and, in my opinion, makes you unfit to serve as a United States Senator... impeachment, recall, or other appropriate action is warrented.
Worse, 4 of you voting against English as America 's official language are presidential candidates: Senator Biden, Senator Clinton, Senator Dodd, and Senator Obama.
Those 4 Senators vying to lead America but won't or don't have the courage to cast a vote in favor of English as America's official language when 91% of American citizens want English officially designated as our language.
This is the second time in the last several months this list of Senators have disgraced themselves as political hacks... unworthy as Senators and certainly unqualifed to serve as President of the United States.
If America is as angry as I am, you will realize a ba! ck-lash so stunning it will literally rock you out of your panties... and preferably, totally out of the United States Senate.
The entire immigration bill is a farce... your action only confirms this really isn't about America ; it's about self-serving politics... despicable at best.
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous
The following senators voted against making English the official language of America :
Akaka (D-HI)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE) Wants to be President?
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Clinton (D-NY) Wants to be President?
Dayton (D-MN)
Dodd (D-CT) Wants to be President?
Domenici (R-NM) Coward, protecting his Senate seat...
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI) Not unusual for him
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA) Wanted to be President
Kohl (D-WI)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT) Disappointment here.....
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Obama (D-IL) Wants to be President?
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV) Senate Majority Leader
Salazar (D-CO)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)
Stabenow (D-M)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged."
~ President Abraham Lincoln " Amen "

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
These are the same people that feel the American flag should be removed from civil service vehicles like police cars and fire engines...it just may make someone feel uncomfortable...mfers:50cal

·
I'm always learning......
5,778 Posts
Carefull, someone on this site may accuse you of being too BINARY if you think it should be English or nothing. :laughing:

Maybe we should just speak whatever language we like. I vote for pig latin.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
the funny thing is when Newt Gingrich brought this up in Clinton's 1st term he was ridiculed for bringing up a "petty" issue.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I am fucking moving to Canada.

you'll have to learn French too...they have 2 official languages, and the froggies are pushing to have the predominate one

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,731 Posts
Although I'm a firm believer in that everyone should know two or more languages, I'm also a firm believer than all governments should have only one official language....personally I think it should be English in the USA. You can go anywhere in the world and a stop sign reads STOP except in stupid Canada where in Quebec it reads "ARRET" :rolleyes

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
If you actually read the transcripts off Thomas law surrounding this, you will read that many of the reasons surround the fact that many other federal regulations already mandate that other languages must be accommodated for other things. If one wants to pass this properly, those other regulations need to be amended first.

Text in the amendment basically said no one has the right to ask the Govt for any services or help in any language other than English and unless there is a specific rule for each instance, they don't have to provide it.

What about Braille or Sign Language? As passed, they can refuse any support or assistance to hearing or visually impaired US citizens in their language.

·
Please attend carefully..
2,625 Posts
When did this vote occur? Because I look at the list and two of the senators - Jeffords and Sarbannes - did not seek re-election in 2006, so I wonder if this is old news.

But I do believe in having an official language, at least so that we can transact business. I shouldn't have to learn a new language every time I want to pick up a prescription.

·
Fornello Del Testicolo
410 Posts
If you actually read the transcripts off Thomas law surrounding this, you will read that many of the reasons surround the fact that many other federal regulations already mandate that other languages must be accommodated for other things. If one wants to pass this properly, those other regulations need to be amended first.

Text in the amendment basically said no one has the right to ask the Govt for any services or help in any language other than English and unless there is a specific rule for each instance, they don't have to provide it.

What about Braille or Sign Language? As passed, they can refuse any support or assistance to hearing or visually impaired US citizens in their language.
While sitting at the Elgin DMV couple weeks back to renew my license I was lucky enough to be right by the check-in counter so I got to hear the woman say in her lucky-strike truck stop waitress civil servant voice over and over "I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH SIR." I'm thinking, "you work at the Elgin DMV are you f'ing kidding me?" Then up at the counters there was a friendly (yeah I couldn't believe it either) Hispanic woman bending over backwards to help all the ESL customers. So are they required to provide assistance in Spanish? All the signs were bilingual. When the check-in lady wasn't being rude to people she was complaining to the security guard about her friend who started the same day she did, and had already received her 30-year pin. I wanted to paint the ceiling with my brain. Love the DMV. Does this count as off-topic? I dunno. Feel like I ended-up rambling. LoL. Sorry. Obviously English is the first language. In a perfect world we wouldn't need to even debate this, but immigration is what it is now, and pretending no-one speaks Spanish doesn't seem like a very good solution. Should it be government mandated? I'n not ready to go that route just yet either. Like I said - I'm not sure where I stand on this one because I'm guessing there's more to it than is evident on the surface - Arch kind of confirmed that. Now ona less serious note:

·
How you like me now?
1,501 Posts
I don't want to learn Spanish just to accomodate someone. Especially if it's someone ignorant enough to come to this country, demand to use this country's services and not even bother to learn its language.
I would like to learn couple more languages (on top of the two I already know), but I don't want to be forced to do it.
I think this info is old, as it still lists Liberman as Democrat.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
One side of my family is from Croatia...last I checked they don't have signs on the highways and options on the touchtone messages for that language...

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
Wow, that is messed up. this shit is 100% true??? I just find it so hard to believe that so many would knowingly make such a braindead vote! is this really possible? jeez

1 - 13 of 13 Posts