Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Damn, that was nasty looking.

I wonder if you know your rear end is slipping out that far if you just punch it will you low side instead? I'm sure it is easy for me to say in theory, but just wondering if this is possible.

·
Registered
13,847 Posts
joemama said:

I wonder if you know your rear end is slipping out that far if you just punch it will you low side instead? I'm sure it is easy for me to say in theory, but just wondering if this is possible.
I'm sure it's possible but you can also turn a normal highside into an ultra fucking highside and fuck some shit up by doing that too if the bike decides that it don't like you no more. In reality, it happens so fast that you barely have time to react to it.

·
I break everything!
1,913 Posts
Reverend Rice said:
I'm sure it's possible but you can also turn a normal highside into an ultra fucking highside and fuck some shit up by doing that too if the bike decides that it don't like you no more. In reality, it happens so fast that you barely have time to react to it.
Yeah, and fortunately for me my reaction time is so slow that whenever I start sliding, I don't have time to react at all and it's over by the time I do, so just by me being a slug, I ride out most of my slides :laughing

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
Damn!

When you head for the grass are you completely off the brakes, then just use rear to slow down? Or a combo?

What the proper precedure to surviving a 'soil sample'?

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
shadrach said:
Damn!

When you head for the grass are you completely off the brakes, then just use rear to slow down? Or a combo?

What the proper precedure to surviving a 'soil sample'?
Front brakes in the grass is instant crash. Dry grass, wet grass, if your front tire stops moving your ass is down.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Reverend Rice said:
That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if you could make it better.

·
CLSB Pimpologist
2,183 Posts
Good reactiontime NeedSpeed. Glad the guy was ok.

·
King Nothing, , ,
17,944 Posts
joemama said:

I have ZERO track experience, so I aint claiming to know anything, just from experience.

I have near highsided twice on the street, once on sheridan, once cutting off of ogden onto hill ave in aurora.

Both times, I kept my feet on the pegs, and kept rolling on the throttle and the bike came back in underneath me.......it is as unnatural as hell, but worked for me both times.

On sheridan, my ass end was at like 8 oclock and I almost soiled myself, the Hill avenue event wasnt as severe.

I think it would have been much worse had I cut the throttle...........

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
NeedSpeed said:
I shot this video last week at Joliet, thought I’d share this with everyone. This was in the Intermediate group, 2nd session after lunch. The guy ended up being perfectly fine.

http://home.comcast.net/~wmalinowicz/mcy_vids/ACC_SEP_5_05_1500.ASF

Wally

NeedSpeed,

I was there sept 5th running in the same group as you.. I was on the orange zx6r in the blue leathers... Anyway I could take a look at some of your other videos? Oddly enough I think I was near you on track when that guy highsided... :)

Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was in the same group riding a silver daytona 600/black leathers, I remember seeing the guy just after he went down. I was actually trying NOT to look!

Glad to hear he was ok. It looked ugly!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It happened so quick, I was just trying to find the safest way around the bike and rider. It seemed so surreal at the time seeing a 400+ lb bike tumbling in the air like that.

Did you guys notice the black marks he was leaving on a couple of the turns before the crash?

Greg, this might be you here: Second session in the a.m.
http://home.comcast.net/~wmalinowicz/mcy_vids/CSB_greg.ASF

Pete, if I see your bike I’ll post another link.

Wally

·
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!
4,665 Posts
me too? having IT look at it today....?????

·
3,707 Posts
If you are using Windows Media Player, just click on "web help" and it will carrying through a couple of links to download the codec.

·
3,707 Posts
Classic case of being impatient.

You can clearly see he was focused on trying to get past that group of riders in front of him and got on the gas BEFORE getting the bike picked back up on the meat of the rear tire. It happened so quick that he never even let go of the handlebars, so the bike slammed him into the ground as it went over.

As a control rider, I tell the guys running in Beginner and especially in Intermediate that as they get faster they need to start working on "setting up" passes. The Intermediate group is the best place to develop this skill. Once you get to Advanced, everyone rides at a faster pace and you HAVE TO setup passes.

He should have either used his faster corner speed to swing right by them on that straight or he should have squared off that corner and late apexed the curve to get the bike picked up sooner and get on the drive earlier.

·
Gixxer Rider
2,340 Posts
Question about video: What recording set-up were you using to film that?

I had a problem with that corner too cuz I didn't square it off. Ended up running off for a bit along the straight and kept going, just like the guy with the camera. :rolleyes

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
NeedSpeed said:
It happened so quick, I was just trying to find the safest way around the bike and rider. It seemed so surreal at the time seeing a 400+ lb bike tumbling in the air like that.

Did you guys notice the black marks he was leaving on a couple of the turns before the crash?

Greg, this might be you here: Second session in the a.m.
http://home.comcast.net/~wmalinowicz/mcy_vids/CSB_greg.ASF

Pete, if I see your bike I’ll post another link.

Wally

Hey, yeah that was me! :)

Thanks.. That was actually my first ride of the day as we got to the track late...

I need to wake up earlier on track days.. missing the first session sucks.. everyone else is out there all warmed up and.. you just suck :)

But thanks.. I had no idea my form was that bad... I need to get more videos like that.. You never really realize how you look until you see the video

Greg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts