Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys need advice was checking over my rear tire after riding around a bit and found apiece of metal in my tire. after i pulled the shrapnel out i poured soapy water to see if it was leaking, well it started to bubble slowly. DAMMIT!!!
i only put a couple thousand miles on these tires. michelin pilot sports. i was looking at tires earlier and found the M1's and rennesports which are better? and should i just get just the rear or both? thanks in advance.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
If you've got a Michelin on the front, just replace the rear with the same style tire.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
I've been told to go same front and back. So unless the front needs changed too I'd get the same rear as b4.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey kim and champ do you think if i rode on the tire if it warmed up the puncture would close. it's pretty small. couldn't hear if any air was leaking till i used the soap and water.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
After working for goodyear for years I can tell you that short of a miracle that puncture is not gonna close on its own. You could try some of that tire slime. Put it in and start riding for a couple of hours, you wanna make sure it spreads around evenly in there. Having it patched from the inside would be better. But remember When ever a tire is ounctured The speed rating of that tire is now voided by the maufacturer. So High speed runs are done at your own risk. The reason for this is because the item that went through the tire cut the cords on its way in so now the stabilty of the tire is comprimised and it could seperate at high speeds when centrifigal force is acting on it.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GsxrTony said:
After working for goodyear for years I can tell you that short of a miracle that puncture is not gonna close on its own. You could try some of that tire slime. Put it in and start riding for a couple of hours, you wanna make sure it spreads around evenly in there. Having it patched from the inside would be better. But remember When ever a tire is ounctured The speed rating of that tire is now voided by the maufacturer. So High speed runs are done at your own risk. The reason for this is because the item that went through the tire cut the cords on its way in so now the stabilty of the tire is comprimised and it could seperate at high speeds when centrifigal force is acting on it.
also if you use the slime it makes a mess inside the wheel. Some shops will charge extra when you finally do get tires cause they need to clean it all up.;) It will work though

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
I wouldn't want to take a chance riding on a tire that has been punctured, even if it was plugged or patched... although I know many who have done just that. Tony's right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay so gotta wait for tires. that makes sense thanks for the input now just gotta buy new ones here another question. if a buy two rear tires will the one i haven't put on rot if left in my carpeted room heard if you leave tire on cold cement they can rot. also when is the chicago motorcycle show and do they have good deals for full system exhausts need one. thanks guys and gals

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
If the tire is kept off of the concrete and away from the sun it will be fine. I'd be more worried about a tire that was stored in someone's attic for a year in direct sunlight than in a cold garage.

The Chicago motorcycle show is held at the Rosemont Convention Center (the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center) in mid-February. You might be able to find a deal, depending on what vendors are there. On a more local note, it seems like Fred is expanding into a whole bunch of different lines... he might be able to help you out.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Where ever you store your "Spare" make sure its covered up. Sunlight is not the only light that is harmful to rubber tires.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
What are you so worried about????? You should burn that old tire up before any hint of Rot shows up anyway.:D :laughing :laughing

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey kim who fred? and crazy i do a burnout if i knew how. i cant do stunts to save my life.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
What if it didn't go all the way through the tire? But it just cut the surface and left a hole in the tread. I ask because I picked up a piece of glass in my rear tire while in VA with the rest of KP and I’m not sure if I should ride on it.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
katman said:
What if it didn't go all the way through the tire? But it just cut the surface and left a hole in the tread. I ask because I picked up a piece of glass in my rear tire while in VA with the rest of KP and I’m not sure if I should ride on it.
If it didn't go all the way through to the cords, you're fine. All modern radial tires are pretty good at self sealing. Just pick out the glass and if it's not leaking, you're good to go.

Last year I got a puncture and a friend used a BMW roadside patch kit. I rode on it for another 3000 miles and never had a problem, btu I wouldn't make it a habit.

·
Everybody to the Limit
469 Posts
Having worked in a tire factory for quite some time now, I have a pretty good handle on how tires are built. Although I would never tell someone to go ahead and use a tire, especially one I have never seen, I personally will not hesitate to use a tire that has been patched after being punctured by a small, pointy object. I don't believe that a tire is going to fly apart after a punture. If I get a chance, I'll bring a cross section of a tire to Strat's this week just for general interest. Again, I'm not telling anyone to go ahead and run a damaged tire, especially one damaged by something other than a small pointy object. Just throwing into the mix what I feel comfortable with. Being extra careful can't hurt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts