Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that the simpliest tings somhow turn out o be hour long ordeals. Yesterday I changed my spark plugs. Not too bad, the radiator came off pretty easy I had to lift the tank to lift the airbox, so I could unplug coil wires 2 & 3.

Get the new plugs in, put it all together and start her up. runs fine but was idling really low, almost stalling, so I turn the idle adjuster. it didn;t seem to do anything so I keep turning. I thinking, man this thing is getting loose, I must be doing something wrong. Instead of stepping away and thinking it over, I keep turning and the think ends up in my hands. The throttle is now completely shut and of course it won;t start or stay running unlesss I hold the throttle open.

I get out the manual. Find out it connect up under the throttle bodies. Argh!!! Give Doc a call. He comes over and we lift the tank, get the air box off after stripping only 1 bolt and extracting it. Wiht Doc's keen dexterity he threads the adjsuter back in.

I fine tuned the idle this morning and everythig is fine. The bike runs 100% better wht the new plugs. I think what I thought was the clutch feeling worn was just, partial misfiring at low revs.

It's almost like havign a new bike.

My lesson. 1) I might understand this stuff, but I'm still a shitty mechanic. 2) even irridium plugs need to should be replaced around 16k miles. Spend the $60... its worth it. (retail is $120!!!)
 

·
CLSB RESIDENT *******!!!!
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
Congrats Cherry, I'm glad you got your plugs changed and found out that your clutch wasn't as bad as you thought. The question is now will it fill the void of not having a liter bike for a while:rofl


Mark:p
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The void won't be so bad. My Hindle full system came in today. I'll have it installed tonight. That should bump the peak HP to 102 or so. Then after Matt Drucker has worked some magic on a custom map and adjusted the valve, dialed in the cams, it will be good for around 105.
 

·
Lovin this Twin
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
All that just to change the plugs?

You spent how much on plugs?:rofl

Im just a disbeliever in those fancy "scam plugs"
Look at it this way...... theres only so much air and fuel in that tiny little area to explode. just about any spark will light it.
Stick to NGK's 24 bucks for 4 and your good to go.

Sorry Cherry, I have to deal with engineers all day long, I understand that if the book says its so its just gotta be.

Then I tell them, Ok you run this machine at that rpm and look thru this glass and see what happens they always say uhm no thats ok you do what you think is right.

Im a CNC machinist

Just pokin a little fun Man
 

·
Who's faster Lupi
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
HooliganZX10 said:
Sorry Cherry, I have to deal with engineers all day long, I understand that if the book says its so its just gotta be.

Then I tell them, Ok you run this machine at that rpm and look thru this glass and see what happens they always say uhm no thats ok you do what you think is right.
Same thing here Hooly Theory and real world. Makes ya wonder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
cherrypicker said:
The void won't be so bad. My Hindle full system came in today. I'll have it installed tonight. That should bump the peak HP to 102 or so. Then after Matt Drucker has worked some magic on a custom map and adjusted the valve, dialed in the cams, it will be good for around 105.
What kind of exhaust is on your bike now? I thought it was already an aftermarket of some kind?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
He had a Micron slipon and he got a full Hindle aluminum... at least something good from me is rubbing off on him;) :twofinger


Doc
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HooliganZX10 said:
All that just to change the plugs?

You spent how much on plugs?:rofl

Im just a disbeliever in those fancy "scam plugs"
Look at it this way...... theres only so much air and fuel in that tiny little area to explode. just about any spark will light it.
Stick to NGK's 24 bucks for 4 and your good to go.

Just pokin a little fun Man
Honda's new FI bikes use a NGK Irridium plug as the OEM plug. THe "cheap" plugs don't cut it accoring to the Honda engineers. Hey man, I stick ot the service manual on this thing whenever possible. Without it I would never have gotten that throttle stop adjuster cable back on.

Huge thanks to Doc this week for comming ot the rescue several times.:cheers
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top