1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
yo quiero su taco
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
Why? We are not climbing mountains around here.

·
yo quiero su taco
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why? We are not climbing mountains around here.
Because swapping rims is a pain in the ass. I don't want all season tires. So, I was going to go the two sets of rims - one with winter tires, one with performance tires. But, the snow sock looks like a better option.

Chains are for mountains.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
Your rims will still get f'ed up. These are to replace tire chains which I think are illegal in Illinois

·
yo quiero su taco
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Your rims will still get f'ed up. These are to replace tire chains which I think are illegal in Illinois
What do you mean my rims will still get f*cked up? I'm not looking to protect my rims. I'm looking for good traction in snow without the pain of swapping rims.

We get maybe five snow days here in Chicago, maybe less. That is not many to justify winter tires or even all season tires.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
Salt and snow will get caught behind the sock and the the heat from the brake would just create a bad combination. I take it that your car is not really winter friendly and to make it practical at all you swap out your nice rims and tires for something that is a little more winter friendly?

·
TOOS Racing
2,260 Posts
Because swapping rims is a pain in the ass. I don't want all season tires. So, I was going to go the two sets of rims - one with winter tires, one with performance tires. But, the snow sock looks like a better option.

Chains are for mountains.
wrong. performance tires are worthless in cold weather. winter tires have much better traction in very cold weather. it can be dry and -5 degrees out and winters will stop go and turn much better.

·
8,299 Posts
What do you mean my rims will still get f*cked up? I'm not looking to protect my rims. I'm looking for good traction in snow without the pain of swapping rims.

We get maybe five snow days here in Chicago, maybe less. That is not many to justify winter tires or even all season tires.
I wouldn't drive around on a nice set of rims in the winter just because of the salt. It doesn't matter if it never snows, the salt will still wreck your rims. UHP tires are also dangerous below 30 or 40 degrees, no grip at all.

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
those things look like they're for low speed only... ppl would probably start honking at you if you were creeping down the street just cuz of a little 3" snow

·
Thread killer
1,529 Posts
what they said...

performance tires suck below 35 degrees. you won't get traction and it's dangerous.

i got a set of winter tires for the GTO, can't wait to see how they work once it snows....

·
yo quiero su taco
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I wouldn't drive around on a nice set of rims in the winter just because of the salt. It doesn't matter if it never snows, the salt will still wreck your rims. UHP tires are also dangerous below 30 or 40 degrees, no grip at all.
Didn't realize performance tires sucked that bad below 30 or 40.

·
^That's me
1,514 Posts
I guess it is about time to put 500 lbs of sand tubes in the back of the Sonoma. Damn, light ass trucks in the winter!

·
yo quiero su taco
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
30mph limit I believe...for emergency use only.
Oh well, then f*ck this idea lol

Alright then, on the other set of rims should I mount all-season tires or winter tires? We get hardly any snow here, and when we do it is cleared off the roads in a matter of 12 hours. Do really need winter tires?

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
if you're other rims are smaller and not as wide (such as steelies, this is recommended) then get snow tires and swap em out at the first sign of snow. this is the best set up and snow tires can be decently priced. they come with a lot of tread too so they'll last you many seasons.

·
Thread killer
1,529 Posts
if you're other rims are smaller and not as wide (such as steelies, this is recommended) then get snow tires and swap em out at the first sign of snow. this is the best set up and snow tires can be decently priced. they come with a lot of tread too so they'll last you many seasons.
If you have all season tires, you'll be ok. If you have HP tires, then ur gonna hate it.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
Oh well, then f*ck this idea lol

Alright then, on the other set of rims should I mount all-season tires or winter tires? We get hardly any snow here, and when we do it is cleared off the roads in a matter of 12 hours. Do really need winter tires?
what are you driving? RWD? FWD? AWD? I say get winters, plus, the winter set up will last you years. Steelies as Phil suggested, the narrower the better. Otherwise, keep summers on and practice on the throttle steering, just make sure you turn off the TCS.:laughing:

·
yo quiero su taco
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what are you driving? RWD? FWD? AWD? I say get winters, plus, the winter set up will last you years. Steelies as Phil suggested, the narrower the better. Otherwise, keep summers on and practice on the throttle steering, just make sure you turn off the TCS.:laughing:
RWD

1 - 20 of 33 Posts