Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pick up a deep well socket for my plugs. Anyone know the size(s) that might be needed.

BTW Ody, I was right in my comment at the Dyno day. My filter was just fubar. But its K&N so I cleaned it off. Man had to be 2 pounds of dead bugs in there.:D

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
dude i know what ya mean my filter was loaded with shit too.

hope we have the same size plugs...i am almost 100% positive.

its a 16mm deep socket. make sure you have a long extension..(around 6-9 inchs) and the extension has that locking tit (like most all craftsman tools)

grab any one of your TRUE spark plug socket and remove that inner rubber holder...shave the outside down where it just a snug
fit into the 16mm socker. and then go at it:D

hopefully your ram air tubes arnt in the way like mine are with # 1 & 4...i have to take the nose off and pull those tubes out of the frame.

hope that works for ya pete;)

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually to get to the plugs, I have to remover the seat, steering dampner, the tank, and the air box. The tubes go with the box. Then its real easy access. I pulled the #1 plug cap. Sent down a 1/2" just to see. No go. So its 16mm I'll get tommorrow. I have the extensions and a grabber if needed. Thanks Ody.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
I pulled the #1 plug cap
back then its usuing plugs?...like a car?..or did you mean that coil stick?

your lucky on this 2000 i cant simple pull the tubes threw from the engine side..there is a outter lip ring molded into the tubes, which have to come from the front of the bike inwards...and of course you cant just push them in cause there rock solid firm to the nose ram air porting tubes and then fits right into the nose section..very snug...so i am screwed...everytime i want to change the plugs...the cool this is i can get that nose off in less then 5 minutes:cheers

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5/8 = 0.625

16 mm = 0.6299

But close enough for government work. :D

But the largest I have at the moment is 1/2 so off to the store today.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
it's usually 5/8's or 16mm. Although my GSXR was 18mm. It also usually takes just the right extension for clearance.;)

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I bought a 5/8 and a 16mm for the company :) And picked up the plugs. $10 each. Prob got jacked on that but the auto parts stores didn't have them so Bonzai I went.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the stupid sockets dont fit in the hole. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Does it require a special tool. I'll probably turn the diameter of the socket down tommorrow.

·
long distance
383 Posts
I always use an old spark plug wrench from a old ZX-7 tool kit, some of those cheap tools work very well.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thought you were on to something there. I checked my kit. no go :(

·
long distance
383 Posts
Yea! thats why I said OLD ZX-7, not sure when but Kaw. stopped doin it I think when ram air came in, get you into the dealer for more $$$$$$, anyone near ya with an older bike? :confused

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nah looks like i got the antique everyone else already stepped up.

not much of a problem got a full machine shot at work

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well its done. After turning down the socket, it was a very easy swap of the plugs. Just need to get home and see how much difference the plugs and clean filter makes. :D

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A big difference. I lost the low RPM bog down. Hmm should have done this a couple weeks ago.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sure I can buzz you again.:twofinger

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts