Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah, I know it's been discussed before... I am 98% sure I'm gonna go with Ohlins, but does anybody have any experience with other brands that they'd care to share?

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
I have a HyperPro (more like HyperLEAK) It does the job, but leaks all over. I have had to rebuild it 4 times in 3 years. I plan on getting the Scotts. Ya never know how much it does till you get used to having it on the bike and then taking it off and riding. I highly recommend getting one.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Kruz said:
Love my Scott's rotary....adjusts on the fly
how many times have you had to adjust it?

i'm thinking about getting an ohlin's that mounts in front of the forks .. like ricerocket(sp?) has and getting rid of this bulky, always in the way, scott's.

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
When I first put it on I adjusted it alot.....

How is it in the way? What else you gonna put between the triple clamp and gas tank?....your barbie doll:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
The Scott's do seem to work well, but I've never had one myself. I had WER (Works Enduro Rider) dampers on my ZX6R's. They were great, and they mounted to the lower triple clamp. You'd have to run into a wall to mess 'em up.

I've had Storz dampeners and had problems with them. Seems like I heard of the Hyperpro dampeners leaking myself.

Now personally, I run very little dampening on my dampener. I really wouldn't need it. And the CR750 that we ran at Daytona didn't have one.

Kim, is your bike that wobbly? If it is, it has other issues that should be taken car of. The dampener will cover it a bit, but it will never fix it.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
I'm definitely getting one before next year. I almost got pitched off my bike at Putnam comming out of Dead Bear. I'm think Ohlins or similar myself. Whatever Drucker recommends. There's just something I don't like about the Scotts.

Kim, what is you're bike doing?
Most of my problems only got worse when I started using a softer rear spring, but I expect that after I get the front forks rebuilt with a stiffer spring, I should be able to run more sag, which will help keep the front end on the ground.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you're running a stock rear shock, it might be a ride height issue at the rear.

If the ride height at the rear isn't enough, the bikes Center of Gravity can move back too far and it gets kind of a wallowy feel to it. Additionally, it doesn't slow down as well as it can.

This is very hard to tell you what you should feel unless you can make the changes.

Are you running a 70 profile front tire on your bike, Cherrypicker?

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm getting a consistent shake when accelerating out of places like 5 and 7 at Blackhawk. We'll take a look at the neck bearings when John pulls the front end, just to make sure everything's within spec.

Dave, I'd love it if you were to take the TL out for a few laps next spring.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
I was playing with this adjustment quite a bit when I was having tire wear problems. It's a Fox twin clicker rear shock. I have the ride height adjusteed out about 20mm. I think the stock shock was the equivalaent of about 10mm. It still didn't seem like enough, so I raised the fork tubes about 5mm.

I'm still a newbie when it comes ot hard experience, so I think I start to get suspension set-up figured out with more practice. I probably should get more analytical and start writting stuff down.

I'll get together with Drucker at the first BHF day and get things sorted out. If he does a really good job, maybe I can drop enough time to start chasing him around the track... at least for half a lap maybe. :cheers

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
I've had the Ohlins, the Hyperpro and the M-Toby.

I liked the M-Toby. Good damper, good price, nice mount, and out of the way.

The hyperpro never seemed to take care of all the tire shake and was a PITA to take off and re-install if I wanted to get the fuel tank up or off. Neat looking, but my advice is to stay away from it.

The ohlins is nice, it works well, and I really like it mounted between the headstock and the guages. It's never in the way for access under the tank. There are also mounts that have it going across the front of the tank, so it depends where you get the mount from. This is the damper I use now.

Matris has also had some excellent reviews, and it's probably about the prettiest one out there. Mounts and works like a hyperpro.

Lots of guys like the scotts, lots don't. Mostly it's personal preference.

There are a lot of other things to look at as to why you're getting headshake. Tires, headbearings, rear suspension settings all play a part.Some say they are band-aids to real problems, but I look at them more like helmets or seatbelts, you'll reall appreciate having one if you ever really need it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
KBOlsen said:
I'm getting a consistent shake when accelerating out of places like 5 and 7 at Blackhawk. We'll take a look at the neck bearings when John pulls the front end, just to make sure everything's within spec.

Dave, I'd love it if you were to take the TL out for a few laps next spring.
Probably should have rode it this year.

Do you just have stock suspension on it? I'm almost betting that you do. If so, you probably need ride height too in the back.

Cherrypicker...

You were having tire wear problems? And again, are you running the 70 profile front? Or were you, or did you run the 60 then put on a 70?

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Super Dave said:

You were having tire wear problems? And again, are you running the 70 profile front? Or were you, or did you run the 60 then put on a 70?
Thje stock front is a 70 profile. They were Michelin H2's. They seemed ot heat up quick and stick good but the erar just shredded. 180 miles (about 8 sessions) and it was done.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The Michelin fronts have tradtionally been much taller than everyone's front. And the rear has traditionally been substantially shorter than everyone's rear. Sounds like you have a geometry problem that is induced by a tire change.

Your Honda (as per the picture?) probably had a 60 front? Now you have a 70. If it were by the same manufacturer (Dunlop) you could see a 10 to 12 mm difference in the height of that tire. Now you add a Michelin that is even taller...

Beginning to make sense?

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you just have stock suspension on it? I'm almost betting that you do. If so, you probably need ride height too in the back.
Yep - stock, stock, stock. Michelin H2's front and rear all year long. Funny how I got less slow (dare I say "faster") after you helped set the front suspension!

Needed to make sure I was committed to doing this before we started throwing cubic dollars into equipment upgrades. My "assignments" for this week are to buy a steering dampner and determine whether RaceTech or Axxion (is that right?) has the better front end components, and order the parts. John will do the rebuilding himself.

And if I can live on Ramen noodles for the next three months, I can get a shock, too!

:helmet

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
hmmmmmmmm??????. Getting a Dampner was something on my lits this winter. I heard good and bad about the Scotts and I don't like the looks of that big brassy box on the steering head and it's a bit pricey. I think I would stick with Ricerockets recommendation for my bike anyway since he hasn't failed me yet on any of his recommendations for the R1.

I do have to say this though. When I bought the R1 everybody warned me to get the dampner right away. I took babysteps with the bike all year and I'm pretty sure I don't drive it like a grandma. I've never had a serious problem. A couple of slappers here and there but the kind where you just relax and ride it out. Never any major puckers. I know the forks on my bike were revalved but the shock looks stock besides a pecularly high ride height for an R1, so maybe there was some work done there but I still can't say I need a dampner real bad. The only time I seem to really need one is in a drag race situation. I think I am going to go with the Ohlins anyway this winter just to ad some extra stability. Most people say their bike feels alot better with them regardless if they had tankslapper problems before or not.

my .02 cents

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
Crazy said:
hmmmmmmmm??????. Getting a Dampner was something on my lits this winter. I heard good and bad about the Scotts and I don't like the looks of that big brassy box on the steering head and it's a bit pricey. I think I would stick with Ricerockets recommendation for my bike anyway since he hasn't failed me yet on any of his recommendations for the R1.

I do have to say this though. When I bought the R1 everybody warned me to get the dampner right away. I took babysteps with the bike all year and I'm pretty sure I don't drive it like a grandma. I've never had a serious problem. A couple of slappers here and there but the kind where you just relax and ride it out. Never any major puckers. I know the forks on my bike were revalved but the shock looks stock besides a pecularly high ride height for an R1, so maybe there was some work done there but I still can't say I need a dampner real bad. The only time I seem to really need one is in a drag race situation. I think I am going to go with the Ohlins anyway this winter just to ad some extra stability. Most people say their bike feels alot better with them regardless if they had tankslapper problems before or not.

my .02 cents

:mad :mad :mad Oh well, I still like it. You should have asked to take mine out for a ride to see if you could feel a difference, or if you liked the feel of it.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
TerminatorR1 said:

:mad :mad :mad Oh well, I still like it. You should have asked to take mine out for a ride to see if you could feel a difference, or if you liked the feel of it.
Why so mad:confused If you like the Scott's your good to go.;) Maybe I'll get a chance to take it out for a spin yet.:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts