Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've always had a oil cooled bike I don't know what kind of fluid to put in the bike. Do I just use regular automotive coolant or do I have to get something special. I suspect I have water wetter in there now and need to change before it gets cold. Also do you need to flush it or just drain and refill???

Thanks

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
i would use a motorcycle specific coolant, recommended mixture ratio is 50/50. I used Silkolene Procool, which is not only environmentally friendly but premixed as well. Flush with distilled water if you are anal, flush with tap water if you are lazy like me. Superbike Italia right across from the lemont train station(I know you know where this is) carries the Silkolene product if you are interested. Although I ordered mine online from Silkolene.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
I don't think you need to flush if going from Water Wetter to glycol-based antifreeze... but you definitely should if you opt to put Water Wetter in it come Spring.

Just be extra careful not to spill any antifreeze where an animal might be tempted to lick it up (has a sweet smell but is absolutely LETHAL).

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KBOlsen said:
I don't think you need to flush if going from Water Wetter to glycol-based antifreeze... but you definitely should if you opt to put Water Wetter in it come Spring.

Just be extra careful not to spill any antifreeze where an animal might be tempted to lick it up (has a sweet smell but is absolutely LETHAL).
Thanks Chris, and good advice Kim. My wife tells me horror stories about that happening all the time since she works at an animal clinic.

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
OK here is my stupid question: What exactly does water wetter do? Cherry was talking about it a couple weeks ago, and I just stood there and nodded my head like an idiot.:confused

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TerminatorR1 said:
OK here is my stupid question: What exactly does water wetter do? Cherry was talking about it a couple weeks ago, and I just stood there and nodded my head like an idiot.:confused
They require it at some tracks I think cause it doesn't make as much of a slimey mess as regular coolant.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
TerminatorR1 said:
coolant is slippery, tracks perfer to you run straight water, or water with water wetter in your cooling system. benifits of water wetter:

Doubles the wetting ability of water
Improves heat transfer
Reduces cylinder head temperatures
May allow more spark advance for increased torque
Reduces rust, corrosion and electrolysis of all metals
Provides long term corrosion protection
Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
Prevents foaming
Reduces cavitation corrosion
Complexes with hard water to reduce scale

-at least according to their webpage. they forgot to mention it makes the water a cool pink color.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Vcook said:

they forgot to mention it makes the water a cool pink color.
You **** :D

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
GsxrTony said:
oh man, i walked right into that one. i didnt like the green coolant though, it was ugly. now with the pro cool in my bike its a pretty blue!! wheeeeeeee!

·
Slow Poke
1,297 Posts
cycles require silicone free antifreeze. I'd recommend any GM/dexacool safe coolant (red or orange in color). Same stuff, if not better than what the stealer sells, but only $6 a gallon at walmart.

btw water wetter has very little corrosion protection. It wouldn't be a bad idea to flush the system halfway through the summer for people doing track events. It's basically soap, and breaks the surface tension of water. They claim the adds to h2o's heat transfer abilities. I think it's a waste of $8, but that just mho...

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Okay... I'm confused. Both TLR's and the Busa came with fluorescent green stuff in the radiators. Looks like regular ol' antifreeze... :confused

·
Registered
48 Posts
Actually Water Wetter or any of the assorted other cooling additives do work, We have tested them all over the years and they do help . We use Engine Ice which seems to work better than Wateer Wetter and also offers freeze protection to -25. It is approved for some orginazations such as AMA and CCS , not sure about wera though.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
o sure now you say something about Engine Ice. Where was that in my post about coolant b4 Putnam. J/K I haven't done anything yet, but sounds like the way to go. Ok on the track AND good at low temps.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FourandSix said:
Actually Water Wetter or any of the assorted other cooling additives do work, We have tested them all over the years and they do help . We use Engine Ice which seems to work better than Wateer Wetter and also offers freeze protection to -25. It is approved for some orginazations such as AMA and CCS , not sure about wera though.
Anybody know where to get this Engine Ice???

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BusaDave said:

Naperville Triumph Suzuki (Naperville Motorsports)

I ran it in my '01 Busa and it helped with overheating problems.
thanks Dave!!!! that's close too:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Redline Water wetter was originally developed for fire departments to keep corrosion from forming in pumper trucks. Then it moved into motors.

Fire fighters found that Palmolive has the same ingredients. So, that's what they use. I've used Palmolive with no problem. Bit less expensive. 4oz per gal of distilled water.

Evans Coolant is 100% propolyene glycol, Engine Ice is watered down propolyene glycol. You can go to Walmart and get propolyene glycol anti freeze. Propolyene glycol is not damaging to the enviornment like Ethylene glycol in most anti freeze.

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
Crazy said:

Anybody know where to get this Engine Ice???

4&6, but it is probably only for summer use, just like watter wetter, so you'll need to drain your system, or replace with anti-freeze for the winter.

I'm not sure about other manufacturers, but Yamaha calls for regular ethylene glycol antifreeze/coolant in the R1. It's green, not the red/orance stuff like in GMs. I don't know if the orange stuff would hurt anything, but all those smart japanese engineers at yamaha say green's OK.

·
Registered
875 Posts
As per my previous post, Engine Ice and Evans Coolant are propylene glycol. They are fine in the winter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts