Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the quality of the Ohlins forks and shock and figuring around $3K to replace them on the Busa. I'm curious if the improvment in the handling/feel for street riding would be worth the investment. Heck, I've already got more in the bike than I will ever get back from it.

I know in a car, the suspension has almost everything to do with how well you can deliver the power to the ground and maintain tire contact.

I could get off cheaper replacing the rear and revalving the front.

Regardless, I know my factory suspension need some tuning, especially the rear. The rear is too stiff, feels like too much preload. I've also noticed a bit of a tendency for the front to "wobble" slightly over bumps in the turns. Some of the front issue may still be partly from putting too much weight on the bars.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Never ridden an Ohlins equiped bike but I've heard nothing but good things. After busting my knuckles countless times goofing with my rear pre-load the Ohlins remote hydraulic preload would be sweet! (and nice if you commonly have passengers/luggage)

These comments on the full Ohlins setup(on a CBR929RR) come from a veteran expert racer whose opinion I respect highly: not to mention his bike has turned 1:22's at Grattan(3secs off the outright 2wheel lap record and 11sec faster than my best laps)!!!

"Overall I would rate these(Ohlins) components as superb, but possibly beyond the budget of many Fireblade owners(roughly $2600 thru Kyle Racing). I was pretty tapped out by the weekend and really didn’t get more than a few “fast” laps, so I wasn’t able to quantify these pieces with lap times, but I will say that they extended the comfort level (at speed) and certainly increased the amount of front end feedback by nearly an order of magnitude over the KyleRacing modified forks (no small feat!). For riders or racers on a budget, I would send Dan Kyle my stock forks and let him work his magic, but if you are looking for a drastic improvement in compliance and feel (as well as the exponential increase in GEE WHIZ factor), then the ohlins are the ticket. I also note that Dan currently blows the door off of everyone else’s pricing on these components, so if you are looking for the “edge”, give Kyle Racing a call."

I say go for it!!!:twofinger

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
I cant comment on the full set up, but i do have the ohlins in the rear and race tech revalve up front on my gsxr. and let me tell you i have never ridden a bike that is more planted to the ground at any speed then this one. bumps, potholes (aka blackhawk) disapere beneeth you. If your going for just having everything on the bike, then go ahead. but i think you could just get away doing the rear and revalve up front and be real happy with the results.

good luck!

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
JimGoFast said:
I cant comment on the full set up, but i do have the ohlins in the rear and race tech revalve up front on my gsxr. and let me tell you i have never ridden a bike that is more planted to the ground at any speed then this one. bumps, potholes (aka blackhawk) disapere beneeth you. If your going for just having everything on the bike, then go ahead. but i think you could just get away doing the rear and revalve up front and be real happy with the results.

good luck!
I have the same opinion, except I have the Öhlins internals from Dan Kyle in my stock forks. The rear shock did wonders for my bike, more than any other mod, I'd say. Unless you want the really trick look of the Öhlins fork bottoms and the ti-nitride coating that come on them, you could easily save a few bucks by getting the stock forks reworked.

Not knowing how you ride, I can't say that a new suspension would be worth the dough to you, but on my R1, it has definitely made a huge difference.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it would be safe to say I'm not as fast as many of you track guys but I can't say enough how much I appreciate the feeling of confidence.

For example, I love the feel of the Corvette out on the road but the switchable suspension still has not enough range and a lot of compromises. It's fun as hell but still bounces a little in bumpy turns.

I don't mind spending the money if I can notice the difference.

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
IMO - changing the rear shock will have the biggest improvement in ride quality and improved traction. The way you ride, I'm not sure you'd get much out of doing any work to the front end.

Counterpoint:

ON my budget, I'd just get the rear shock only (probably a Penske or Fox). I like my Fox i have now, only the adjustments are limited. ON YOUR budget. Hell just go for it and get the whole works. I don't think you'll be disappointed. ;)

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
cherrypicker said:
IMO - changing the rear shock will have the biggest improvement in ride quality and improved traction. The way you ride, I'm not sure you'd get much out of doing any work to the front end.

Counterpoint:

ON my budget, I'd just get the rear shock only (probably a Penske or Fox). I like my Fox i have now, only the adjustments are limited. ON YOUR budget. Hell just go for it and get the whole works. I don't think you'll be disappointed. ;)
I have to agree with Mike on this. You really don't feel changes to the forks unless your really pushing it. You can however get a better ride by changeing the back as well as some benefit to holding all that power you got down.;) :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts