Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about doing the ALCATRAZ SHARKFEST SWIM in San Fran next summer. It's a 1.5 mile open water swim. Is anyone else interested in signing up? The 2008 date hasn't been posted, but I'm assuming it's around the same time. price is $120.

Sunday, Jun 10th, 2007
890 Beach Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
Distances
1.5-mile swim from Alcatraz Island to Aquatic Park

If that goes well I'd consider doing the "Escape from the Rock" Triathlon in August.
http://www.envirosports.com/events/event.php?eventid=2212

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
$120 sounds pricey for a coldwater swim. That would have to pay me quadruple that just to jump in.

·
Registered
18,079 Posts
I think you should do it and then swim back on your own just to show off!

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$120 sounds pricey for a coldwater swim. That would have to pay me quadruple that just to jump in.
Don't forget plain fair and hotel.

·
Giddy Up
808 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the ALCATRAZ SHARKFEST SWIM in San Fran next summer. It's a 1.5 mile open water swim. Is anyone else interested in signing up? The 2008 date hasn't been posted, but I'm assuming it's around the same time. price is $120.

Sunday, Jun 10th, 2007
890 Beach Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
Distances
1.5-mile swim from Alcatraz Island to Aquatic Park

If that goes well I'd consider doing the "Escape from the Rock" Triathlon in August.
http://www.envirosports.com/events/event.php?eventid=2212
I've talked about that race with experienced swimmers and understand that it is a seriously difficult (and COLD) swim. Have you swim with a wetsuit before? Also, I think you have to qualify to enter or enter a lottery system??? Not sure of the details though. If you haven't swam long open water distances competitively then make sure you bone up for it. I'm not discouraging it but you might want to try and conquer Lake Michigan first :2cents: BUT, if you decide to get down with it and get in, have a blast and knock it out on the Big Rock :)

That withstanding, come and join me, just finished signing up this morning, in California for this if Alcatraz doesn't work out - http://www.vineman.com/race01/

Also, either the Chicago Accenture Triathlon, http://www.chicagotriathlon.com/, or the Big Shoulders swim, http://www.bigshoulders.org/, in Lake Michigan are good starts :)

As for other details....San Fran is pricey to get to/stay in and you'll probably want to arrive a few days early to acclimate to the conditions, etc.

Enjoy!

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
I was in SF a couple of weeks ago on the honeymoon. We went out to Alcatraz and let me tell you it was freakin' cold out on the water. I hope you can swim really really well in cold water for that distance. Its far.

Best of luck to you.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven 't done open water yet or that distance. I know it's going to be a lot tougher than is seems. Even though it's just an idea right now I'm starting training already. I figure I'll try to get up to 3 miles in a pool over the winter and work on open water in lake michigan when it starts getting warm enough.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solo, I didn't see anything on the website about a lottery, so that's shouldn't be an issue. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get eaten by a hammer head shark if I do it though.

·
AKA..... Dan
2,765 Posts
Don't forget plain fair and hotel.
OHHH PLANE FARE!!! Got it!! :laughing Just messin'

I did that swim 4 years ago, wow time flies. The water isn't bad at all, you are too pumped to notice. Of course being a lifeguard in Centennial Beach in March toughens you up!

Have fun buddy!!! :cheers

·
Clever Girl
10,204 Posts
Had this come up 5 years ago, I would sign up in a heart beat. The mile was my favorite event swimming, but I haven't trained in years, and cold water sucks.

·
Please attend carefully..
2,625 Posts
I never did open water at that distance, but I have done long distance laps in the pool (1 mile and greater), so I would suggest you start training there doing laps over the winter. I notice you live by UIC; they have a nice pool in PEB (or at least they used to; the last time I was there was 11 years ago, and the water I used was frozen).

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
up to swimming 3/4 of a mile a day. not a bad start.

·
Registered
798 Posts
up to swimming 3/4 of a mile a day. not a bad start.
If you are gonna do this consider the Escape from Alcatraz tri as well. My buddy did it this year and said it was great. Another thing to research and understand is the fact that since there is a current, you can't aim straight at the other side or you will go way downstream and then have to swim upstream at the end. I'm sure you've seen this but he said it was real. Water isn't bad just get a full lenth wetsuit and also an insulated headcover as well. They use them in the extremely cold waters.

Train in Lake Michigan right north of oak street beach is where all the tri training goes on. I go every Saturday during tri season. Usually around 8 am and do a mile or so of swimming. Swimming in open water is 10 times better than a pool. It's much harder, but so much more fun.

Good luck man.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good tips, thanks. yeah I plan to start hitting Lake Michigan after the winter. Until then I'm going to try to get up to 3 miles in a pool

·
pfft.
11,638 Posts
I'll do it with you. I used to do triathlons in high school but honestly I hate running and I REALLY hate biking. I'm a freaking fish, though.

I'm totally in.

Do you have a striped wetsuit??

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Drama you will love San Fran! it's thSuper :laughing

1 - 20 of 36 Posts