Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1670 Posts

·
DONATING MEMBER
25,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sucks. And it's harder than it looks. :laughing:

This will be my official thread to keep me motivated to learn to swim. I've gone to the pool twice in two days to get my feet wet, so to speak, and I can't really make it more than two lengths of the pool without sucking down a gallon of water each time. First lap is good surprisingly, second is a challenge, and I stop after that to cough up water and probably blood. :lmao: How many strokes do the regular swimmers go before they breathe? I was trying 2 right arms and 2 left arms then breathe, but maybe I should go every set to breathe more?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
They normally go 3 then breath, but right now you should be breathing everytime you stroke to your natural breathing side. You should be getting plenty O2 while you are working on your stroke so you don't tire out so quick. You can work on 3 stroke breathing and double side breathing when you progress. Form is the key to swimming!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Are you talking free style? It depends on how tired you are, and how fast you're trying to go. I mainly breathe on my left, but whenever i'm out of air I go for it. Get in a rhythm that you can maintain comfortably so that you can think about breathing less, and your stroke more.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Do you really not know how to swim, like, at all? Do you have a friend that swims that could come show you how to do the strokes properly, or can you get an instructor or in a class? Swimming is not hard when you know the proper way to execute the strokes. I gave Marcus about 10 minutes of coaching and he improved immensely. There are just a couple tips to know that make it so much easier not to swallow a ton of water or drown.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Do you really not know how to swim, like, at all? Do you have a friend that swims that could come show you how to do the strokes properly, or can you get an instructor or in a class? Swimming is not hard when you know the proper way to execute the strokes. I gave Marcus about 10 minutes of coaching and he improved immensely. There are just a couple tips to know that make it so much easier not to swallow a ton of water or drown.
I've been offering to teach him for a year. He prefers asking questions and geting internet beat downs.:neener::lmao:

·
Mmmmmm....
6,402 Posts
Don't try and do full out swimming right off the bat. Split it up and focus on your kicks while using a kickboard and then the next day focus on your arms and put a float in between your legs. Once you are comfortable with those seperately then work on doing the full stroke. When doing the freestyle keep your arms close to your body and try to be as smooth as possible. It's going to be much harder until you learn the proper technique.

Normally I breathe every 3 strokes but when I was competing I would go 5-7, depending on the distance.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
Don't try and do full out swimming right off the bat. Split it up and focus on your kicks while using a kickboard and then the next day focus on your arms and put a float in between your legs. Once you are comfortable with those seperately then work on doing the full stroke. When doing the freestyle keep your arms close to your body and try to be as smooth as possible. It's going to be much harder until you learn the proper technique.

Normally I breathe every 3 strokes but when I was competing I would go 5-7, depending on the distance.
you swim??????

float i can see but swim???:lmao:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
breathing is always debatable at all levels...

some guys breath every stroke, every 3, or whatever. Alternate breathing keeps you in a nice rhythm if you can be smooth with it. If you struggle to breath on one side I wouldn't focus on it that much.

Don't worry in the triathlon you can wear the "special neon" caps they give bad swimmers. That lets the lifeguards know you might drown :p

·
Registered
13,847 Posts
Ken, I can teach you. I swam for the Argentinian national swim team in the last 80's.

·
pfft.
11,638 Posts
I breathe on the 5th stroke unless I'm doing sprints then it's 7. If I haven't swam in a while and I'm rebuilding, I will breathe on the 3rd for distance, 5th for sprints.

I don't like breathing to the same side every time; if you are used to being able to do everything on both sides, you will never have to worry about hitting the wall on the right stroke or accidentally coming out of a turn too fast/too slow.

·
Mmmmmm....
6,402 Posts
Well then I won't bother offering either. :laughing:
I tried to offer too and he smacked me down. Apparantly he wants to be stubborn and waste a lot of time and energy doing it wrong instead of listening to real swimmers with coaching experience who can show him the right way from the beginning.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
Mr. Crabs, i can teach you as well. I swam from Guadalajuara to the US and A.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I breathe on the 5th stroke unless I'm doing sprints then it's 7. If I haven't swam in a while and I'm rebuilding, I will breathe on the 3rd for distance, 5th for sprints.

I don't like breathing to the same side every time; if you are used to being able to do everything on both sides, you will never have to worry about hitting the wall on the right stroke or accidentally coming out of a turn too fast/too slow.
He's going for distance. Probably 1/4 min.

Ken, check this out!

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
If you want to practice breathing, pretend like you're fapping.

·
Raging lunar zoomonkey
2,221 Posts
the biggest mistake I've seen with people just learning is not putting their face into the water. You know trying to swim nose first instead of breaking the water with the top of your head.

1 - 20 of 1670 Posts