Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Tail Fairing Paint

3K views 107 replies 24 participants last post by  Odysseys 
#1 ·
Where is a good, affordable place to get the tail fairing for my R6 repainted (It's Black)? It will need a little sanding work as it has some deep-ish scratches, but i dont anticipate the need for any/much filler.

I may also have the lower fairings repainted, they are a candy red - that will be down the road though.

Can anyone recommend a place, or have a connection?

-Jake

#3 ·
CAN afford ... don't want to ;) haha

Seriously though, the bike is a 2003, i dunno how far i wanna go financially for a scratched tail fairing.

Say ... didn't you paint stuff once upon a time? :jester

#10 ·
I would think so too. A heckuva lot less work too. I'd imagine the labor cost alone would be enough to say fudge it and just replace it.

#7 ·
call Joe 1 708 833 6238

#11 ·
Here my suggestion. With jap bikes the cost to repaint versus buy new OEM already painted is almost a wash.

So what would you rather have for almost the same money.

A brand new painted from factory with no build up of layers or paint.

Or take your chances with some painter that never seen his work and if he is GOOD. The price is almost the same.

Fucken materials these days are not cheap nor is the only place that sells OEM motorcycle paint. (colorrite.com)

#12 ·
I hear ya. It's an 06 triumph sprint and a replacement costs $500.

I've also heard of issues with fairings not necessarily matching...would have to tell them up front that if it doesn't match, I don't want it.

Also heard stories about factory sending two even when only one was ordered due to changes is design and older ones no longer being available (newer year fairings still fit older models).

Have an email or two out looking for rough estimates on repair. Will see what I hear.

#16 ·
Funny story.

Mind you I never would just do an OK job. All
My work was prefect.
I never took cheap
Ass jobs cause no matte what they will
Complain about debris in the paint. Maybe a couple runs etc.

Well this one time someone wanted a track tank painted OEM. I don't care what kinda bike it is. Anyway. He had a hundo and for shots and giggles I took the job.
The materials alone were over a hundo for the tank.
I painted and cleared like normal. Better then OEM shine and shell smoothness.

Then I forgot he only paid a hundo and was like I don't need perfect work for a hundo tank job. So I went outside got some dirt. Threw it in the paint, grabbed some pubic hair. Dusted it Ermeral Lagassi (BAM!!) then shot a run or 2 in it.

When I gave it to the guy he looked not impressed. I go. Not bad for a hundo huh?

Lol. True story.

#27 ·
You did an awesome job on my bike. Best decision I've made for that bike. Very happy with it. It still looks new even a year later. :cheers:

#21 ·
I was waiting for the winter until I heard you stopped painting, which kinda sucks but it is what it is.

I'm pretty hesitant when it comes to painting, just because I know how bad a job can end up a few months down the road if not done right.

I need to find someone willing to spray like you did on the side if I pulled all the parts off myself, but would obvioulsy need to see previous work before committing.

#23 ·
Don't get me wrong, that bike looks pretty good. Much easier to tell in person but even from the pictures it looks well-worth $800. Of course thats including full fairings where the $800 I was quoted was without lower fairings.

From March-Nov. though, I don't even think about this stuff, having the bike sitting around during prime riding season is never fun, only tire and oil changes during the season, everything else is winter.

#25 ·
One of the reasons I'm not a fan of buying used same color parts and then just slapping them on. Its very easy to make things look nicer than they are with pics, especially paint.

Its much harder to promote a shitty paint job when its front of your shop though, so I would assume its not all that shitty.

#33 ·
All shops sublet to some degree. If the quality comes back to the shops standards, and customer is happy with the quality, who cares.

Much easier than someone like me going out and finding someone to do it without knowing the end result.

Heck, didn't dealerships sublet jobs to you back in the day?

Ever call AT&T customer service, I sure as hell know the guy I'm talking to isn't named "John", I always ask their real name and alot of times they just ignore me

#29 ·
Stop being a moron before I get you banned. :laughing: Yes, there are other people that I rely on to guarantee a superior product compared to other shops and painters. I did not breed the horse to harvest the hairs to manufacture any paint brushes either. I guess we all have help somewhere along the way don't we? I thought you understood business better than that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.