Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Give 'em hell guys!!
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were trailing the 1st place team, Team Life, in our class by 17.7 points going into the WERA GNF at Road Atlanta. We had to win the race or finish 2 places ahead of them to win the championship. The race started off wet and stayed wet the whole time, which was okay with me as I don't mind racing in the rain, as long as we have rain tires. I got a great start and was 4th overall for the first few laps and settled into 7th overall, 1st in class at the end of the first hour. Dan Schmitt and our 3rd rider, Phil Caudill (he owns Moto-Heaven.com, they import Wintex leathers and sell other race stuff) each rode for @ 30 mins, as they were interupted by red flags. I got on the bike with @ 1:20 to go and we were leading Team Life by @ 6 laps and 6 or 7 positions, but we were second in class, down @ 30-40 seconds on 1st place Team outta sight. I was able to pass Team Outta Sight and pull @ 1min 30sec lead on them when I had to pit for a few more gallons of fuel to finish the last 15-20 mins. I came out of the pits still leading them and then a red flag stopped the race with @ 13min to go and the race was declared complete. So we wrapped up our 2nd MWSS Class Championship ( we also won it in 1999) with a much needed win. Now that the season is over, I get to relax and get some work done on the house. Hope to see some of you guys at the races next year, for the best amount of track time per dollar, I highly recommend the Endurance series, you don't even need to have an expert rider on the team.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
CONGRADULATIONS STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that rocks man, jeff and I want to check out one of the events next year, and then maybe join in on the fun!

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
MOST excellent!!!!!!:cheers :cheers :cheers

Phil at Moto-Heaven is definitely "the" source for anything Wintex! He was a great help to me this year - I purchased my bodywork and a bunch of other "stuff" from him.

Steve - Please tell us more about WERA and the endurance racing series.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Yeah - In 2004 (after I've attained some respectable stats so that others will actually want me to ride their stuff!) I want to get into the endurance racing thing. Watching the CCS Team Challenge at Blackhawk got me salivating, and then I saw the Motorcycle News articles on what you guys were doing. SO COOL!

Is there anything unique to what you're doing in terms of conditioning, equipment, etc. etc.? Where do you compete? How many riders are required to comprise a team (Listen up Jim and Jeff!)

·
Give 'em hell guys!!
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KBOlsen said:
Is there anything unique to what you're doing in terms of conditioning, equipment, etc. etc.? Where do you compete? How many riders are required to comprise a team (Listen up Jim and Jeff!)
The best thing for Endurance racing is ANY kind of cardiovascular exercise, you are on the bike from 45 min to 1 hr or more if you run superbike and a large (7-9) gallon tank.
It is a national series, but most of the tracks are south and east.
Here is a list of the tracks we went to this year:

2002 WERA/GMD Computrack National Endurance Series
4/6 Grand Bayou Circuit - 4 Hour
4/20 North Florida Motorsports Park - 6 Hour
5/4 Putnam Park Road Course - 4 Hour
5/24 2002 Cycle Jam, Virginia International - 4 Hour
6/8 Roebling Road Raceway - 6 Hour
6/15 Talladega Gran Prix Raceway - 4 Hour
8/3 Summit Point Raceway - 6 Hour
9/14 Texas World Speedway - 6 Hour
10/25 Grand National Finals - 4 Hour

One of the best things is the variety of tracks that we go to, some are tight and technical, some are fast and flowing.
You only need 2 riders to make up a team, and they can both be amateur's. The pace for the top teams is @ sprint pace but most people are much more relaxed about passing, You don't want to make a risky pass and crash, the races are 4 to 6 hrs long so you would lose more by crashing than waiting 1-2 more turns to make a pass. one other thing to consider is finances, make sure everyone agrees to whatever your plan is, make arrangements for who pays what when the bike gets crashed so that there are no problems when it happens. most of all relax and have fun, there is alot to be said for being out on the bike for 1 hr at a time, it will make you a faster sprint racer from all the laps you get in, we got 214 laps in at North Florida. that's a pretty good laps per $$ average when you compare it to sprint racing.

Keep the ?'s coming, I'll answer some more later... I have to go to work now, 2nd shift sucks!! I'm glad it's only temporary.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
So if your out there for an hour are you pushing 110% the whole time or are you running at 90%?

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
:cheers Congrats:cheers

·
Give 'em hell guys!!
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JimGoFast said:
So if your out there for an hour are you pushing 110% the whole time or are you running at 90%?
More often than not your going @ 95% unless your in a dice with someone in your class for position, then you give it all you 've got. They are long races so you don't want to do anything overly aggressive and risk crashing.

·
Give 'em hell guys!!
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
JimGoFast said:
Thought about it some more......
As an example, at Putnam , I was running some 14's but mostly 15's and 16's in heavy traffic. At a sprint race i would probably need to run low 14's (EDIT: actually low 13's would be more accurate laptime)or better to have a top 3 finish. Combined with Dan running 19's to 21's that put us at 10th overall and 3rd in class. If Dan had been able to run the same laptimes as I was, we might have been able to finish as high as 6th overall and won the class.

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Dan's 19's and 20's really seem to be slowing your team down...poor... slow.....guy :rolleyes

So my 25's wouldn't help you too much?

Just when I thought I was getting faster.....

·
Give 'em hell guys!!
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kruz said:
Dan's 19's and 20's really seem to be slowing your team down...poor... slow.....guy :rolleyes

Yeah, he's slow :rolleyes .. Not to shabby for a 53 yr old 7 time GRANDFATHER!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts