Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
eeee whas up doc?
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, had to go back to school, could not go on rides with many of you, hope to ride with you next season if I haven't allready. Anyway, how do you guys keep your bikes in winter. Two winters ago I took all the gas out from the tank,and took out the battery. Last winter I started the bike almost every weekend. Now I don't know which shoud I choose. What is your way or the best way?

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
There are bunch of threads about it... and +1 to what Downforce137 said - you want to keep your tank filled up and add some Sta-bil (fuel stabilizer) to it.

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Also make sure your anti-freeze is up to snuff if you will be keeping it in a location that gets below freezing.
BTW, keeping a bike in the location where it gets below freezing is NOT the best idea because it negatively affects all the rubbers. A lot of motorcycle dealerships and shops and even one of the CLSB sponsors - Ride Chicago - offer climate-controlled winter storage.

·
Bop your way home...
5,621 Posts
Ride it to a friends house, park the bike in his/her heated garage, have lots of beers and take a cab home (it's the responsible thing to do). Don't go back to your friends house until spring.

Dr. D has the answers!

·
Bop your way home...
5,621 Posts
I have seen bikes have problems after a winter with stabil, just my personal experience, no science behind it.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
$50 a month and drop it off at mt place for the winter. I will store it for you in my heated garage, pm me if your interested

·
Ridiculously Good Looking
32,753 Posts
Ride it to a friends house, park the bike in his/her heated garage, have lots of beers and take a cab home (it's the responsible thing to do). Don't go back to your friends house until spring.

Dr. D has the answers!
Yup Yup

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not a bad idea to put it on race stands either. Cold concrete doesn't mix well with tires and if for any reason you have a slow leak your bike could fall over on you if not checked often. Alternative to stands is to put cardboard under the tires. Don't put a non breathable cover over it either or it will trap condensation. just use a sheet.

·
eeee whas up doc?
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was trying to figure out why DanO would post this.... then I saw the .O
HAHA funny :)

·
eeee whas up doc?
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
eeee whas up doc?
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,731 Posts
I have seen bikes have problems after a winter with stabil, just my personal experience, no science behind it.
I will never, ever put that crap in any fuel system....I've had problems too.

What I do, is dump a bottle of concentrated fuel injector cleaner (basically jet fuel, AVGas100) then fill the tank til I'm over flowing, and I mean over flowing. Air kills gas....no air in the tank...gas will last along time.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
I think i'm in the Matrix. :laughing:

Always used stabil in the tank, never had a problem. Heck, i've never used a tender since i got the bike (03) and it starts right up. Honda FTW!

5,620 Posts
Please do yourself a favor DONOT start bike unless you plan to ride .
Stable before you fill, ride home to get stable into system.
take the long way home to burn any condinsation out of oil.
Park in stable temp place the temp flux causes condinsation.
(Before starting) in the spring change oil .

·
PPF Installer
1,286 Posts
you want to change the oil before winter, don't let it sit with used oil in the bike, it has all kinds of crap in it and that "crap" can actually start premature wear on the internals causeing them to weaken. Even starting the bike once after clean oil the "crap" starts to build up in it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts