Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been too long since I've been climbing. I got ahold of my partner and after some discussion we decided to head south of the border next year.

This is my next climb. Pico de Orizaba, 3rd tallest mountain in North America at 18,800 ft. It is glaciated, which I prefer. I've never been to Mexico so this will be a different type of adventure for me. I booked my tickets this morning, now I need to get my passport.

I have to up my training regimen, start walking around with ankle weights, put the pack on and hike on the weekends.

For those of you who said you'd come with me on a winter backpacking trip, I'll likely have one at the end of January. Time to step up. :)

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
When next year?

Passports are taking a long time to get to people, might want to get that ball rolling.

And for some reason, I envision you wearing a scarf while walking around with your ankle weights on. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Awesome dude!!!

I'm going to stick with rock climbing. I just did a weekend camping/climbing trip to Devil's Lake with the girls that you met at VE. It was fricken cold over night but we had good climbing weather. I'd like to do another backpack trip but I need it to be warmer out.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Awesome. Even if you pulled me on a sled I still wouldn't go on a winter trip with you. :laughing

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When next year?

Passports are taking a long time to get to people, might want to get that ball rolling.

And for some reason, I envision you wearing a scarf while walking around with your ankle weights on. :biggrin:
Yep, I'm going to submit my application on Friday for my passport. The word is the backlog is gone and it'll take 6-8 weeks.

Our climb will be February 22-March 2.

I will definately have my scarf with me! :laughing

Awesome dude!!!

I'm going to stick with rock climbing. I just did a weekend camping/climbing trip to Devil's Lake with the girls that you met at VE. It was fricken cold over night but we had good climbing weather. I'd like to do another backpack trip but I need it to be warmer out.
If your sleeping back is rated right then a cold night won't bother you. You should come out in January. We'll be going back to up Manistee.

Awesome. Even if you pulled me on a sled I still wouldn't go on a winter trip with you. :laughing

:lmao: I was re-reading that thread to make sure it was Bostd-gxr who said he'd go winter backpacking.

You should come, Mao. I've never had long-grain rice on a camping trip. ;)

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
why dont you try climbing a real mountain

this one even stares you right back in the face, talk about face of danger.

Reactions: Pete The Greek

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
You should come, Mao. I've never had long-grain rice on a camping trip. ;)
I don't do cold. Anytime when it's warm though. You can strap me to your back and carry me. I don't weigh much. :laughing

·
Look into Pastulio's Eyes
914 Posts
It's Mexico! U should be by the beach, swimming, snorkeling, drinking fruity drinks, diarreahea etc

BTW, LOL I didn't know they had that big of a mountain, Only one I know of is El Popo, which is a dormant volcano

Eitherway Goodluck dude, and be careful of the chupacabras

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
I have a coolmax liner that I use also. So I am at about 30+. I'm always cold so I would need a 0 deg rated bag. :laughing:
I dunno how experienced you are, I'm no Eagle Scout, but a good pad, and a good bag should be all ya need. I wouldn't be camping in the winter with that thing.... That's more of a 3-season bag.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I dunno how experienced you are, I'm no Eagle Scout, but a good pad, and a good bag should be all ya need. I wouldn't be camping in the winter with that thing.... That's more of a 3-season bag.
I just started camping a couple of years ago. I would agree that it is a 3-season bag. I also have a pad but again probably not the right one for winter. My tent is also not rated for winter either. Winter is for skiing or boarding. I may try ice climbing but that is only because my climbing friend will drag me out and I'll try it once.

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,731 Posts
Chills you better be in shape my friend....at 8500 feet this summer, I did a quick climb....thought I was going heave out a lung. Altitude is a biatch...I'm in no shape to climb 18,000 plus feet....can't wait to see the pics tho:)

·
Bring it on!!!!
1,672 Posts
Yep, I'm going to submit my application on Friday for my passport. The word is the backlog is gone and it'll take 6-8 weeks.

Our climb will be February 22-March 2.
You should still pay the extra to expedite. My friend was told the same thing and recieved it the day after we left to Amsterdam.

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
You should still pay the extra to expedite. My friend was told the same thing and recieved it the day after we left to Amsterdam.
I've heard similar horror stories, lead times are not true, sometimes they are off by a couple days or a couple months.

·
I wok!
3,079 Posts
Chills you better be in shape my friend....at 8500 feet this summer, I did a quick climb....thought I was going heave out a lung. Altitude is a biatch...I'm in no shape to climb 18,000 plus feet....can't wait to see the pics tho:)
did u forget that chills did some huge mountain before?

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
Sweet bro, but alas, I think the leg will preclude me from joining you:laughing

:cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts