Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Got my new Ride......
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question..

Installing new rearsets (from Woodcraft) & Woodcraft say just reuse the old OEM bolts with threadlock. However, my bolts for the footpegs were a little mangled - so I just bought a new set of bolts from a Kawasaki dealer.

However, the bolts from the dealer have a red coating on them ! Does this coating take the place of the threadlock ? Do I apply threadlock ON TOP of the coating ? Do I have to worry about mixing different types of threadlock :confused

This may be a dumb question - but since I don't know the answer, it would be dumber for me not to ask.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Nice choice in rearsets....don't know about the coating crap already on there.

I think all Kowasaki bolts have that on there because they rattle so much:rolleyes

·
BEER!
5,970 Posts
I'm pretty sure that red coating is red LocTite, the stuff that's made to NOT come off, ever. It was on the rearset of my SV when I had to take mine off, and it took Pete, a T-wrench, and a vice to get that shit to move.

So yeah, I'd think you're covered.

Which reminds me, I better check that one, I don't remember LocTiting it back up!

Chris

·
Slow Poke
1,297 Posts
What does your shop manual say, factory stuff, factory procedures. Wouldn't the hardware be WAY cheaper? They are probably not even hardened bolts from kawi.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Put em in and torque em down, your good to go. That red stuff is a preapplied thread locker. It could be pre applied red loctite or it could be an epooxy lock type thread locker. Regardless, they should be ready to go.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Since you got bolts that have thread lock treated threads you should be ok to torque and go. If they weren't I would recommend to atleast use Blue Loc-Tite Red would be better but a bit harder to remove if needed. Pugsly found out ridin and loosin your peg isn't so much fun.

·
Got my new Ride......
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep - I will use those new bolts 'as is' and I'm gonna thread lock everything else.

Was anxious to try out the new rearset so I installed them with the old bolts. Got the shifter level & shift rod lined up. And even managed to rig up the brake cyclinder in the inside of the bracket (instead of the outside). I didn't use any thread lock - because I was planning on taking it all back apart - I just wanted to see how everything fit together and maybe take it for a "short" test ride. Well, I guess I stayed out playing too long and I dropped all 3 bolts holding on the brand new $80 shift lever !!! :(

I was going down the road and all of a sudden the shift lever is hangin of the bike being dragged along by the shift rod. It didn't get damaged all that much, but it put a good scratch on the bike frame when it first fell off and it kicked under the bike. So I pull over & I'm trying to find a few extra bolts some where on the bike so I can hook up the shift lever again & get home :laughing I couldn't find any the right size ! Tried to at least get the bike into second (with the bike standing still), but I couldn't. So I had to start riding the bike home & hang over the tank & reach down & shift with my hand ! up-shifting wasn't bad - but downshifting (one-handed, with no clutch, haning off the bike) was not a pretty sight

Anyway, I got home in one piece - won't make that mistake again.

·
Man with Big Hose
1,432 Posts
Champ91 said:
Since you got bolts that have thread lock treated threads you should be ok to torque and go. If they weren't I would recommend to atleast use Blue Loc-Tite Red would be better but a bit harder to remove if needed. Pugsly found out ridin and loosin your peg isn't so much fun.

YES indeed.......losing a footpeg in turn 6 at Road America is NOT fun!!!!!!! Mental note.....use threadlock...use threadlock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts