Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so even though I have "plans" to upgrade to a 600, i never exactly said when.....

so if i were to continue riding the 250 for another season or the majority of it at least and start doing track on it, is it wise to keep it stock or would i have to mod it?

Like tires, exhaust (muzzy?), rearsets, etc.

Would some of the higher end mods such as exhaust be worth the extra $$$($500) to get the performance or keep it stock and just get new tires? and how easy is it to setup a new exhaust?

Basically whatever I need to do to push this thing further than street and ride it harder for what its worth to get as much experience under my belt as I can with it because I feel lately like its just too slow and should try to move on.

even though i feel like upgrading to a 600 i still feel like i should know my 250 in and out and be able to literally ride the shit out of it before upgrading. :cheers:

·
Retired but still working
1,089 Posts
Suspension and tires. I am not too familiar with the 250's but I know any type of performance tire is going to be difficult to come by because of their size.

I have seen the upgrade for an exhaust once at Autobahn. Looks good, sounds good, but I doubt performance versus price will be worth it. Take the money you would dedicate for exhaust and put it into the suspension.

It may cost you that little bit extra to find the components for these items since I feel they will not be readily available compared to other larger displacement bikes. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Upgrading a 250 for track is a waste of money. You can buy a race prepped 500 with everything on it for $1200 and it would crush your 250 no matter what you do to it.

For the track, get a 500 or an SV. Used, prepped, and ready to go. Any money you put into your 250 will never come back. Anything you buy as I suggested, you will get back your money either entirely, or close to it.

Here is what I am talking about, $1250 for a fully race prepped 500...

http://www.nesba.com/TrackTalk/bb/Forum4/HTML/006954.html

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
I ran my Ninja 250 at BHF three times a few seasons ago. If you want to run that bike all your really need are some tires, but I wouldn't spend a dime on anything else.

But considering you can sell those bikes for almost no loss, I do as Brian suggests and pick up an SV650 for street/track next year.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
If you decide to run the 250, I have a set of race tires with two or three sessions on them at MAM for the 250. Almost new. Sell them to ya at a great price.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
BTW, IF you are gonna pick up a track bike, pick it up now as the prices are FAR lower now and in the next month or so than they will be at the beginning of the season.

·
4,564 Posts
He should buy a 600 RR that has tons of spares :)

Once you have a bike, get some tires and maybe some rear sets. Then be sure your gear is up to the task. After that. Upgrade the rider and get lots of seat time. Thats where the biggest gains are.

·
SNF
769 Posts
Greg and I are both selling our bikes. Either one would be perfect for you! :laughing: (Don't you love how I show up everytime you post your bikes for sale greg?)

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Do a track day or two first before you plan on modding up your bike. You may find out track is not for you. It's not for everyone and there is no shame in that. You may also find out that your bike in it's current state can out ride you. Ride first than take it from there.

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool, i figured any money id put into it for track for anything other than tires would probably just be a waste but i thought i should ask anyway. I'll probably try to hit some tires up when the next season comes around and take it to a track day or two as mao says and see where i can take it from there.

·
Armed law abiding citizen
19,052 Posts
Buy this and track it. Keep the 250 for a daily rider.

Or keep that as a daily rider, and track this.

Seriously, I like that 500 Wink posted. Shit, if you pass on it, I would probably buy it.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
I sit here and ponder this question.... All I can think of is how your gonna feel going down the straight on that 250 and everyone blowing past you. Personally it would kill any fun that could be had that day.
I dont think I would even consider taking your 250 to the track.
Unless ofcourse all your looking to get out of it is learning what it and you can do together. Because doing only 1 track day will make you a far better rider then you are today.
If you want to keep riding your bike without stepping up in size, a track day or 2 would be beneficial regardless of what your riding.
I wouldnt put a dime into the bike though.

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sit here and ponder this question.... All I can think of is how your gonna feel going down the straight on that 250 and everyone blowing past you. Personally it would kill any fun that could be had that day.
I dont think I would even consider taking your 250 to the track.
Unless ofcourse all your looking to get out of it is learning what it and you can do together. Because doing only 1 track day will make you a far better rider then you are today.
If you want to keep riding your bike without stepping up in size, a track day or 2 would be beneficial regardless of what your riding.
I wouldnt put a dime into the bike though.
yea i want to upgrade to a 600, i just basically want to be able to ride the shit out of it and do the best with it i can to transfer those skills to a higher powered bike. cause thats the whole reason i started on a 250. i know there are times when i go into corners that i wish i could be taking them faster and more confidently. so i think its time for track to get those skills and that confidence.

i thought i could take it stock but from the sounds of it ill need new tires. i dont wanna sink any more money into it than i have only to lose it when i sell it. so its probably best to get a track day or two under it and then sell it off.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
take Wink up on his offer of take offs then.

And if you can adjust the suspension on your bike, tighten it up as far as u can.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
I see no problem with a 250 on the track. Go ahead and let those idiot newbs on liter bikes pass you on the straights while they park it in every corner. Imagine how much fun it will be when you pass those idiots up at the corners. Learn what you can. Remember it's not a race but a learning opportunity.

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
BHF is a good little track for the 250. I would catch up to 600s in the carosel that earlier blew past me on the front straight.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Buy the EX 500 that Wink posted.

650 hawks, EX500s, FRZ400s all can be found for very little $s and will be huge fun. You can't win a track day, but you can try to win the most fun/$ contest.

·
El Speedy Gonzales
719 Posts
IMO I say sell your 250, buy a SV650 street bike and do double duty (street & Track) The SV is not as powerful as a 600cc 4 but it is more than capable of hanging even with the 1000cc bikes (given the rider of course)

·
Armed law abiding citizen
19,052 Posts
You should have bought the Speed Four when I had it. That bike was great on the streer, and would be a great track whore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts