Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lick Me
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off i really am not a good runner but i find it very hard to maintain a pace when not running on the tread mill. dose anyone have tip for maintaining a constant pace?

thanks

-nick

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
It's all about getting in a rhythm...if you're not used to running on the street, it's quite a change from the treadmill. Remember, in real life you actually have to propel yourself forward. It's a much different motion/feel than a treadmill.:)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
It's all about getting in a rhythm...if you're not used to running on the street, it's quite a change from the treadmill. Remember, in real life you actually have to propel yourself forward. It's a much different motion/feel than a treadmill.:)
Good tip to for running on a treadmill to compair to outdoor is to raise the incline to 1%.

One way to keep pace outdoors is to snap your fingers while running. It helps to keep pace.

·
Lick Me
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i agree that the treadmill is very different, more of a cardio workout. i like to put the tread mill on a small incline to make it easier on the knees and make it more like the street. i tend to start running to fast on the street and burn my self out.

·
DONATING MEMBER
25,071 Posts

+1

Actually having to move your body instead of a machine doing it for you and you just keep up is quite different. Even people in decent cardio shape that aren't runners have to take it slow and it takes a while to get into a rhythm. Give it a steady month to shape up and if you don't have it by then take pointers after that.

·
Boom
13,320 Posts
There is a whole thread on here with music that is designed for setting a running rhythm. I'm too drunk to find it and link ya at the moment though :laughing

·
SV650N
3,117 Posts
+5 years on a treadmill. I save the street running for the races. I'm what they call "clydesdale weight" and frankly, my Knees remind me of it every damn race.

+1 on the 1% incline, its the minimum. 5% would be the maximum, any higher and you're risking knee injury. Running on trails would be the next best bet though.

Shamrock Shuffle is next March, thats my annual goal and its what keeps me motivated in the wintertime. Good luck.

·
Resident Slow Guy
7,386 Posts
I agree with everyone here, big difference running on a tread mill and on the street. I recently started running holding 1 pound weights in each hand. Give that a try if you want added resistance while running on a tread mill. I also run with my ipod and find a song that I can find a rythem to and run to that. Works for both tread mill and street/trail. :2cents:

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
DJ Steveboy has mixes that are 40 minutes to 1 hour long. Perfect for running.

1% incline FTW!

I like doing my long runs on the weekends on the street. Start off slow as you can, and work up your speed slowly.

Cool Running has some decent info for runners.

·
Lick Me
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it is my goal to run the shamrock shuffle in '08. i have decided that i need to buld my confidence on the tread mill to be abble to run on the street for a decent amount of time so i dont get discouraged by my street running abbilities

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
Find tracks that go with your pace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts