Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NickIF posted in the other topic and figured I'd sum up very quickly which products are good and which ones are bad.

If the supplement uses funky label design and tries to make it appear as if you're getting steroids or some other bogus anabolics then it's probably crap.

See the big jug on the right and how they write STEROLS? Yea that's the make stupid people think it's related to steroids. Back in my wee days of being a lowly clerk at a health food store in Deerfield, you wouldn't believe how many jamokes would come in and think that they're getting some secret formula. "Dude this stuff is intense!!!" "Umm, yeeeeaaaa...Vitamin E and some shitty protein really pumps me up too."

Labels that look like prescription or illegal drugs are also tugging on the horses wee-wee.

Wow, that stuff comes with Philatest Nitrate!!! Only problem is no one knows what the hell that is nor does the site list any ingredients. The label to me says "Buy me, I have a cool and illegal looking label, I might be birth control pills, but who cares!!! STEROID POWER!!!"

If you do get a glimpse of the label online such as with NO-XPLODE then you can easily tell if it's a worthwhile product just by the label. The basic ingredients of good supplements are simple which most people can understand. The hotter and more scientific the ingredients sound, the more expensive the product is for the same stuff. Let's take a look at NO-XPLODE as an example...
N.O.-Xplode™'s Proprietary Blend - Cool way of saying "everything you read on this label below this point is our proprietary blend even though they're just average chemicals and pesticides."

Di-Calcium Phosphate - Shitty calcium added to cheap cereals

Di-Potassium Phosphate - Anti fungal, not approved for use on foods, but apparently is ok for bodybuilders.

Di-Sodium Phosphate - Used in fake cheese products to preserve and also in hair products...yum

Phospho-Electrolyte Replacements™ - A neat and trademarked word for sugar. "Dad can you bring home some Phospho-Electrolyte Replacements™ sticks?" "Sure son, here's your pixie sticks, try not to crucify your brother this time."

Glycerol Stearate - I give cancer, I kill Jack.

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
If I said Home Cooked Meals FTW! One more time, I'm sure nobody would get sick of it.

Good topic Biggy. I am not into body building, but all the hype about these supplements sort of irritates me. I guess it is because when I was about 40lbs overweight, I looked into nutrition and diet and figured out with my own simple research what to do: Cut the processed sugars and fats, general idea. But I stumbled across lots of these "get muscle/skinny quick" remedies and was curious about them. There is too much evidence supporting that a healthy lifestyle change and exercise will get you fit. I am proof!

Yeah, I bash whey protein and such, I guess because it is a supplement and that means you aren't getting enough through your normal diet.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
IYeah, I bash whey protein and such, I guess because it is a supplement and that means you aren't getting enough through your normal diet.
wait, I've seen you mention whey before but I didnt realize you were joking. You dont agree with protein supplementation?

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
wait, I've seen you mention whey before but I didnt realize you were joking. You dont agree with protein supplementation?
he thinks you should just eat veggies after working out :laughing:

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
No, I'm not building, I'm more of an endurance guy. If I were to run or do endurance for a couple hours, I will have some Endurox or Accelerade, which one or the other has the 4:1 carb/protein ratio to help you recover without become plagued with fatigue, but other than that, I am a "home cooked meal" believer. :laughing:

Eating a well balanced diet has proven it's benefits to me. I stock my desk with apples and bananas on Mondays to snack on during the week, eat Kashi Lean with maybe some yogurt for breakfast, banana couple hours later, eat a healthy lunch maybe a salad or sub(no cheese or mayo on whole wheat/grain), an apple in the afternoon, then a semi-healthy dinner. Don't get me wrong, I'll still have a bowl of ice cream, candy, or a fat steak and burger. :)

If I were trying to gain mass, I'd consider supplementing.

·
Banned
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I'm not building, I'm more of an endurance guy. If I were to run or do endurance for a couple hours, I will have some Endurox or Accelerade, which one or the other has the 4:1 carb/protein ratio to help you recover without become plagued with fatigue, but other than that, I am a "home cooked meal" believer. :laughing:

Eating a well balanced diet has proven it's benefits to me. I stock my desk with apples and bananas on Mondays to snack on during the week, eat Kashi Lean with maybe some yogurt for breakfast, banana couple hours later, eat a healthy lunch maybe a salad or sub(no cheese or mayo on whole wheat/grain), an apple in the afternoon, then a semi-healthy dinner. Don't get me wrong, I'll still have a bowl of ice cream, candy, or a fat steak and burger. :)

If I were trying to gain mass, I'd consider supplementing.
Then you hop on and take a ride on the baloney-pony express to burn off some calories.

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
You're supplementing already, but okay.
True, but I said if I go that long :laughing: When I was doing a long run once a week, I'd have it afterwards, but looked at it more like a "medicine" cause it isn't the best thing for you. Lots of sugars, but I did see a benefit from it...

Then you hop on and take a ride on the baloney-pony express to burn off some calories.
:jester

·
Registered
802 Posts
OK. Please don't laugh at me.
Since I wiped out. (Lots of road rash. I was down for all most whole summer last year).
All I did is watch TV and eat out of boredom. So I went from 185lbs to a 200 + lbs.
I never went to gym before but love sports and I used to be very active. Now that I moved here I'm even less active and keep putting on even more weight.
I got gym membership but its harder than it looks.
I don't care about getting buffed. Just wanna get back to my old weight. And I get bored quickly at the gum.
So my question is. Is there anything on the market that can help shed the weight and give me some energy. I see all those promising commercials and I understand there is no magic pill. But I guess there got to be something that can help me at least get going for lack of the better term in the "right direction".

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
OK. Please don't laugh at me.
Since I wiped out. (Lots of road rash. I was down for all most whole summer last year).
All I did is watch TV and eat out of boredom. So I went from 185lbs to a 200 + lbs.
I never went to gym before but love sports and I used to be very active. Now that I moved here I'm even less active and keep putting on even more weight.
I got gym membership but its harder than it looks.
I don't care about getting buffed. Just wanna get back to my old weight. And I get bored quickly at the gum.
So my question is. Is there anything on the market that can help shed the weight and give me some energy. I see all those promising commercials and I understand there is no magic pill. But I guess there got to be something that can help me at least get going for lack of the better term in the "right direction".
there are no healthy "shortcuts". even good supplements will only help so much, you'll still have to do the work. stop eating like shit, and get your ass in the gym.

if it was easy, everyone would look like Mort82 and Vcook :twofinger

·
Seriously?
7,011 Posts
I swear man. I eat like a fu*king bird and work out at least 4-5 times a week and no results.:wtf: Am I doing wrong.
Way my belly is growing I'm gonna catch up to Ron Jeremy soon:lmao:
Are you taking any medication? If so that could be your problem??

·
Registered
802 Posts
Are you taking any medication? If so that could be your problem??
No I never used any. I do eat kind of shitty food. I never cook at home. So all restaurants and plenty of fast food gets in the mix. But really try to limit the portions. I do eat o lot of fruit do. And that could be the problem. And pushing 30 probably don't help either.:lmao:

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
No I never used any. I do eat kind of shitty food. I never cook at home. So all restaurants and plenty of fast food gets in the mix. But really try to limit the portions. I do eat o lot of fruit do. And that could be the problem. And pushing 30 probably don't help either.:lmao:
How long have you been eating "portioned" meals and exercising?

Give yourself one full year to get to where you want to be. And take it easy in the gym during the first few months so you don't hurt yourself.

Set up a exercise routine. Some like to do cardio for 15-30 minutes, then hit the weights... and you don't have to stick to it like Gospel, mix it up some.

·
Registered
802 Posts
How long have you been eating "portioned" meals and exercising?

Not to long. Just over a month. I expected some results by now. I have not even lost a pound yet. I used to live of the steady diet of Chicken wings and Corona and never gained a pound.:wtf: is happening now?. Frustrating to say at least.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts