Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take it that our fearless leader has given up on E85 with the hopes of BioDiesel taking over? Can anyone else makes heads or tails of the fact that the US government is now shipping vehicles from Europe over here?

I saw this in Naperville earlier this evening.

BTW, it's a 1.9L TDI Opel Astra

·
Registered
136 Posts
hahaha it's an opel! they're very popular in europe and inexpensive plus awesome gas mileage, shit for power though

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Fermi worker?

E = energy research.
Isn't Fermi quite far from the Chicago suburbs? Anyway, I think that companies should start selling more diesel cars in the U.S. Honda is suppose to sell an Accord Diesel in the next year or two.

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fermi is about 20 minutes from where that picture was taken actually. Quite close.

Good call Arch, that's almost certainly one of those Fermi weirdos...

·
To Punish and Enslave
3,952 Posts
They do, but they're made in India I believe and sold only in Europe.
So do they get the same sweat shop deal as The Gap? having 10 yr old kids make the cars for nothing?

·
Boom
13,320 Posts
Isn't Fermi quite far from the Chicago suburbs? Anyway, I think that companies should start selling more diesel cars in the U.S. Honda is suppose to sell an Accord Diesel in the next year or two.
Fermi lab IS in the Chicago suburbs :laughing

I'm with ya on Diesel though.

Man, I haven't seen that BK in DT Naperville in a long while... Is the chipotle still around the corner? (by barnes and nobles)

·
Only TWO cams now...
2,079 Posts
Opel is German - and don't look now, but most all Saturn cars are or will be Opel based. Cars, not crappy lane hogging, soccer mom driving SUV's.

·
Registered
378 Posts
They sort of sell Opel here now. Most of the new Saturns are supposed to be shared in Europe as Opel Models. New Sky, Astra, VUE are very similar to Opel models across the pond.

·
Boom
13,320 Posts
Opel is German - and don't look now, but most all Saturn cars are or will be Opel based. Cars, not crappy lane hogging, soccer mom driving SUV's.
Opel was German. GM now owns 100% of its shares. But yeah, Saturn basically is America's opel with couple of their models.

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
I have always had a love affair with the SMART...
Went to Germany this spring and kept taking pictures of them (everyone thought I was wierd... ) I don't know why.. Just love em.

I actually have a 1:87th scale SMART in a display case on my desk (friend from german brought it over here last visit... he works for Benz...)

I also LOVE Unimogs...
mmmm...
So basically I like the biggest and the smallest cars Mercedes sells to the public... and I don't really know why :)

I did find out something interesting.. call it nature vs nurture
My Grandfather worked for Conrail for 30 or 40 years... He drove a HiRail truck on the tracks (checks the tracks for trouble) .... In any case.. When I was talking the Wife into a Unimog for home improvement (way better than a stupid SUV IMHO :) ) I found out that the Unimog was also known as the HiRail... So I want the truck my old man drove all those years

I also have a model of that on my desk.. a 1949 matchbox from a guy at work.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts