Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Verifying housekeepers, contractors, etc.

3K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  C2M 
#1 ·
Long story short is we were burglarized in August and have been very seriously considering how we manage people coming near or in our home. (Worse, this is the second time it's happened to me!)
It's very concerning to us how easy it is for people to figure our work schedules, know when we're gone, look around our home, etc. Even something simple like letting the cable guy in is scary to me-- he can see our electronics, kitchen appliances, where a jewlery box is, etc. Even scarier, they can see that we have kids, or can even see our kids. Every parent's worst nightmare is having something happen to their child, and right now our antennae are totally perked up because someone broke in.

We've already gone over other considerations (alarms, cameras, safes, etc.) but have recently been talking about the topic of confirming identities of people who come into our home. For example, requesting to see, and copy, the Driver's License of the Home Depot guy who comes to fix our door, or the painter who comes after that. It's not that I'm going to run the ID or anything (ok, I may check the state child predator list...), but I feel like that might be handy to have for the police in the event something happens later. It might also be a handy way to ensure you're getting someone with good intentions.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Is there another way that you all handle comfirming just who is coming into your home?
I know there are a lot of contractors on here-- would you be totally pissed off if someone asked you for valid ID before working in/on their home?

I'm really just batting around ideas on a good, professional, courteous way to manage my home and still be safe and protective of my family. Yes, I understand time might make me a little less worried, and no I don't want to live in a constant state of fear, but perhaps there's a simple middle ground?....that's what I'm interested in.

See less See more
#6 ·
I actually worked on the garage door of a house that was really nice. The lady had all kinds of contractors coming in and out that day and when we arrived she took our id's and scanned them and gave them back. She said she did it with all contractors. I am sure she feels safer but I was a little worried. What if someone else does something how do they prove who did it? Now shes got 30+ people that she can accuse. I am not sure if she had cameras or not but that would be the only benefit. If she saw the person on camera doing something and then matched it up with the ID

Lol. Nobody comes near my house because of the German shepherd. She looks like she is about to kill someone when they walk by. Little do they know she will probably lick you to death if you actually walk up to her.

Angies list- It's a joke

#5 ·
Well you ARE in Houston which isnt exactly Mayberry. I always ask for ID before they come in more so if they are not with a company vehicle. Then again I really dont like people in the house if I'm not there.

More so its usually NOT people YOU call thats the problem. Its more the door to door ones looking for work. Large companies usually bond their employees who go in customers homes. When I was at orkin, we had to carry orkin issued phoot ID. Many times on my residential route I had to go into homes when no one was home. Never liked that though. I preferred them to be home.

#7 ·
Then again I really dont like people in the house if I'm not there.
Mainly because that LAST time involved a CSI team discovering you making a coat from the skin's of fat chicks you kept in a well in your basement :neener:

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose
:lmao:

Sorry...been a long time....Had to get that outta my system :laughing:

Down HERE, most contractors do background check's on employees. If they do ANY public work or bid on anything county/state/city their whole work force HAS to have a criminal background check, and you are within your right to ask for an employee with a secure background to come to your home. You can have the company send you a photoID of the employee and then ASK for that employees photo ID when they get on site.

#8 ·
My little beagleman hid in the closet when we were robbed, so at least she was safe, but no, she's no german shepherd. :laughing

I think with contractors, cable, etc. I am just going to make a point of asking the office who they are sending over so I can write down the name and keep a record. All this came about because I want to hire a housekeeper for about a year since I will be very busy with baby #2. I'm tempted to pay more for Merry Maids or the like simply because they are bonded and insured.

I was going to ask about Angie's List; I'm glad someone mentioned it. I know it's not going to give me peace of mind in terms of safety, but is it a decent place to get a good reference?

#9 ·
I was going to ask about Angie's List; I'm glad someone mentioned it. I know it's not going to give me peace of mind in terms of safety, but is it a decent place to get a good reference?
Personally, I go by word of mouth; through family/friend's references.

But if you're in a new town where you don't know a lot of people, it's probably your best bet.

#14 ·
Don't know about that, they notify a business to post up their side of the story. I've never seen any advertisements on there just specials from some businesses. And even those, are not all rated with A's.

AL is a good resource, not as good as knowing someone, but still good.

#10 ·
werent u the one who didnt want to pay for services you had done? dont remember if it was a maid service or something else. maybe they robbed you

#11 ·
No I was perfectly willing to pay, but they forgot to bill me and tried to collect well over a year later. I took issue with that, since the contract clearly stated they would charge my card (which I had provided to them in advance for auto-pay) within 90 days of the service.

Incidentally, they got back to me and said I was correct, and did not collect payment from me.

That was in San Antonio; I no longer live there.

#15 ·
All those Katrina transplants really effed you up, what funny is up in woodstock we got a bunch as as soon as that happened we started having more burglarys, they were stealing fuckin grills from peoples back yards. just put a big sticker on all your doors and windows " If you try to rob my house i will tie you up and Ass rape you for days on end - So come on in - Im waiting!"

#16 ·
All those Katrina transplants really effed you up
I was burglarized living just an hour from here long before Katrina; I don't feel comfortable blaming this on folks who relocated after the storm. I would say it was pretty likely to happen regardless; we live in a very nice neighborhood, but our home isn't as well-protected as the $1M+ homes....so, we got targeted.

#20 · (Edited)
so you kept your gloryhole attendant? is this a familiar site at the crib? :)

#22 ·
I carry one of those on my hip whenever someone comes in to do work (which doesn't happen often):

I even try to chat them up, and show them the hollow points, talking about how much damage those boys can make :jester

Might make a potential burgler think twice if it's worth risking breaking into a house, when they aren't 100% sure no one is home. For those times, get a real dog. Or get ADT or similary home security service.

#26 ·
I am not getting a large dog, no way no how. Just simply not interested. It's not a fear of their behavior, it's simply a matter of not having the time or interest in training it properly, keeping after it, feeding it, and picking up its massive steamers.

And our guns were stolen, so there's that. Which frankly I was ok with because personally I do not want guns in the house with children. (I'm not anti-gun and it's just my personal preference and I don't care what someone else wants to do, so please spare me the gun control talks).

#28 ·
adt is cheap insurance, or install your own system and pay like $14 a month for the service better way to go as i had adt, got the system free, payed friggin $5 per moth for 2 yrs got outta contract and pay like $15 a month for service - peace of mind + if a burglar hears a alarm theyll run!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.