Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is for the heating techs

with a baseboard heating with a waterboiler. Say you have 4 rooms that have baseboards and those 4 are considered to be 1 zone.

Currently, they are run in series. Is it better if i run a hot and cold(used) system instead. Run the pipes in parallel. So the hot water going into each baseboard would be the same temperature, and not cooled down.

·
Wisconsin FIB
2,232 Posts
I'm not a home heating guy, but do have experience with cooling systems, so take this with a grain of salt.

Depending on the heat drop across each room, yes, parallel system would be the better setup. More uniform heat between each room, compared to a series system where you will have a "hot" room at the beginning of the run and a "cold" room at the end.

However, a parallel system is highly dependent on the pressure drop across each radiator. Given a 20 gallon flow, you attempt to equally split the flow 4 times, into 5 gal/min flow. If one run is longer, radiator has some scum in the pipes, etc. the pressure drop may be high and limit water flow rate and end up with a 1 gal, 9 gal, 5 gal, 5 gal, split for example. Balancing the system may be more difficult and require valves to equalize flow loss. Or you will end up with some hot rooms and cold rooms anyway.

The simple solution in the series system (where temperature drop is the issue), is to increase flow rate of the water. As flow rate increase, temperature drop across a single room would decrease, therefore reducing the difference between the "hot" room and the "cold" room.

A higher flow rate series system is better to heat 4 rooms at the same temp. A parallel system might have some balancing issues, but that also means you can turn down a single room if wanted.

·
Banned
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bro

I was thinking that too about the flow. The system only has one pump, and i might need more for the other zones. The one pump might be enough for those 4 rooms.

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
I had the broiler system in last house and you can wrap the pipes to help retain heat.

It was my understanding they run in series for the simple fact you would only need one water pump, one outlet and one inlet to the broiler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.