Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have new TV and want to know what's up with getting some FREE reception without paying into a plan.

Is there an antenna I need ??

Hope you can help thanks.

·
2,306 Posts
Folks with the ancient roof antenna are in the best shape!
That's what I have and get over 30 channels. The off air HD is great.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Post above mine is all you need. Folks with the ancient roof antenna are in the best shape!
Been doing it this way since 1998. Everything else I stream through my PS3.

5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
north of the dells 20 miles and i can only get 1 Chanel with my rotor 20ft high antenna.

·
Registered
778 Posts
a DTV specific antenna does help with the signal, but not required.

Technically, rabbit ears do work. I've gotten 25+ channels on a new TV with rabbit ears, and 25+ channels on an older TV with conv. box.

Run a channel scan and see if more channels pop up. I've noticed you also have to screw with the antenna more with the digital signals now. I don't watch too much TV anymore, but the channels when I do are crystal clear.

Ch. 2 can give probs though, otherwise everything is pretty decent.

·
2,306 Posts
north of the dells 20 miles and i can only get 1 Chanel with my rotor 20ft high antenna.
Gus, I just added a $15 indoor antenna amplifier. Big improvement.
Made by RCA and sold at Walmart, RCA #AMP1450R.
Even though it says "digital signal amplifier for indoor antennas" it works well with my 1985 vintage outdoor antenna.
Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
a DTV specific antenna does help with the signal, but not required.
There's no such thing, except in the minds of the marketing folks.

DTV is still on the same UHF and VHF bands as analog was. Any antenna that worked well for analog television will work well for digital TV if it is properly installed and aimed, and contains elements for VHF and UHF.

In many markets, most stations are now on UHF, regardless of the channel number you watch it on. In Madison, WI, the full power stations are all currently on UHF channels 26-50. There is a low-power on Channel 8, but at your distance from Madison, it won't likely be receivable anyway.

Without knowing your exact address and looking at a terrain map, I can't immediately suggest an antenna gain (size), aiming bearing, or height. All can be calculated if the exact location is known.

In any case, Over the air TV is the best quality TV you can get. The satellite and cable companies reduce resolution and quality when they get the signals from TV stations, because space on the cable/satellite is limited, and they squeeze as many channels as possible into a small space.

Congrats on the new place.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,391 Posts
What Craig said. The antenna I use is a roof top antenna my Dad mounted back in the late 80s. I get all the local OTA channels in crystal clear HD.

·
Boom
13,174 Posts
I just ditched Cable TV over the weekend, and picked up RCA ANT751R antenna at Best Buy (for $36 after price matching Walmart). Installed on the roof:

I'm blown away at the quality of some of the HD channels.

5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks and happy holidays

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.