Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd wash my bike up today... we have a bunch of different cleaning products and was wondering which one would be best... some things we have:

409 All-purpose
409 orange clean
Lysol all-purpose
Windex
Pledge gel
soft scrub gel...

What should I use? :D
 

·
Who's faster Lupi
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
I use Turtle Wash and follow that up with Honda Spray n Polish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seem to only have household cleaning products. What out of what I listed will work the best... or should I just hop it over to Dominick's and get some specialized product
 

·
Cuddlie as a koala
Joined
·
7,520 Posts
Out of your list, Windex is the best. I used it on my ex-bosses HD's and it cleaned the chrome BETTER than chrome polish. No streaks either.


Honda Spray is one of the best non-soap & water ways to wash a bike.
 

·
"PC" ,my balls
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
You don't want something that removes grease or is abrasive. That just about kills your list. I use the same soap I use for my car.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
43 Posts
Stydie750SS said:
I seem to only have household cleaning products. What out of what I listed will work the best... or should I just hop it over to Dominick's and get some specialized product
i wouldn't use any of that to clean my bike.

i find myself using honda cleaner the most .. but sometimes i'm feeling saucy, so i'll use some car soap that doesn't strip the wax.
 

·
Evil Moderatrix,
Joined
·
8,030 Posts
My mother washed her car with a Scotch-Brite pad once... left it with a nice, swirly matte finish.:rolleyes

If you use dish soap in a bucket of warm water, be sure to put a coat of wax on afterwards, and make sure your chain is nicely lubed.

Pledge in a can will work like the Honda spray stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
If you don't want to take the wax off, you can use Woolite or even Downy. Yeah, it sounds funny, but it does work and it doesn't spot up so bad.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Super Dave said:
If you don't want to take the wax off, you can use Woolite or even Downy. Yeah, it sounds funny, but it does work and it doesn't spot up so bad.
And the bike will have a fresh clean smell afterwards.

I just use car wash soap. I like to use simple green on the radiator and engine to keep it clean so it runs cool. Simple green or a similar alkali cleaner is what they usually use on the cooling coils in the HVAC systems at work.
 

·
Evil Moderatrix,
Joined
·
8,030 Posts
Simple Green works wonders on racetracks, too...:rolleyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,186 Posts
Honda polish is good. I usually use mothers, Eagle One, or Meguires wipe n' shine type product for mine. I wouldn't use any of that stuff you listed on anything but the wheels or inside the swingarm shock or something:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,074 Posts
when i had the VFR before, i took a hose to the bike to wash it. i started it up...let it run for awhile, then i took it for a quick spin. i turned it off for about a half hour, and when i came back to start it....it wouldn't start. i waited about 3 hours, went back, and it started up.
after that experience, i never use a hose anymore!
i actually don't clean the bike that often. i may clean it about twice a year or so....and thats usually with the Honda spray polish. did you guys know that small plane pilots use that on the windsheild of the small planes too?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,923 Posts
I've found that using a belt sander works best. You may need some touch-up paint if you choose my method, though.

Lemme know how it turns out!
Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
You own a brand new duck man, please go spend some money on the apropreate cleaning products, or atleast don't ask us which household clenser to use :laughing

For quick in between wash cleanings, I like plexsus. For a through wash, s100 total cycle cleaner, this shit is awesome, and fast, just make sure you throughly rinse, any residuls left behind in the rims will turn into a substance that is a SOB to get off, even with WD40. As long as you througly rinse you'll be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nick 600 F3 said:
You own a brand new duck man, please go spend some money on the apropreate cleaning products, or atleast don't ask us which household clenser to use :laughing

For quick in between wash cleanings, I like plexsus. For a through wash, s100 total cycle cleaner, this shit is awesome, and fast, just make sure you throughly rinse, any residuls left behind in the rims will turn into a substance that is a SOB to get off, even with WD40. As long as you througly rinse you'll be fine.
Alright alright once again excuse my idiocy. I used a gentle car wash detergent that I had packed away in a box somewhere and polished it up. Next time I make it out to the dealer I'll pick up some good wash. I assume most motorcycle dealers carry it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,186 Posts
Stydie750SS said:


Alright alright once again excuse my idiocy. I used a gentle car wash detergent that I had packed away in a box somewhere and polished it up. Next time I make it out to the dealer I'll pick up some good wash. I assume most motorcycle dealers carry it :)
I try not to do that often Stydie but sometimes it gets so dirty you need to. You just have to be careful with where you spray the hose. Just spray down the wheels suspension and stuff and wipe off the rest. As long as you stay away from electronics and carbs you'll be fine. Most the time I just wipe it down with Mothers show care shine. Deeper cleanings with out water I'll take the fairings off use simple green or wd-40 depending on how bad the grime is.

edit: should have mentioned I only use that stuff on the inside of the fairings on the engine.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Go to the place you bought the bike (North ave) and they should have your wash there. I recommend s100. Dont forget your chain:D In between i like the McGuires sp?? detail spray. just my .02:)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top