Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

when is it time to lay your bike to rest?

1K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  bluebusa60544 
#1 ·
you know like when its gets alot of wear on the engine etc,?

i got like 22,000 miles on mine now...still running strong...and i still LOVE IT. dont think ill get rid of it either.

just wondering what others idea are of when its time to call it quites with a bike before moving on to the next 1.

#3 ·
Odysseys said:
you know like when its gets alot of wear on the engine etc,?

i got like 22,000 miles on mine now...still running strong...and i still LOVE IT. dont think ill get rid of it either.

just wondering what others idea are of when its time to call it quites with a bike before moving on to the next 1.

I've got a good philosophy on this and came with experience. When it comes to the point your working on it more than riding it, or it's costing you more per month in repairs than payments on a new one would. It's time. I like to keep mine longer than most. If you can time this right before it starts happening it would be perfect. Of course when you start using your bike for different purposes the story changes too. I.E. don't expect to build a radical drag bike without some of these rules being broken;)

#4 ·
Well it seems to me like bike's value tends to drop significantly after it's got 20k on it. So I usually get rid of them before they hit the 20k mark, regardless of condition. Plus it gives me an excuse to get something new :)

Now that you've got 22k on yours, it doesn't make much sense to sell it... might as well keep it until it dies a natural death.

#5 ·
funny thing about my bike...when it had 5000 miles on it when i stopped doing mods to it..dynoed at 147.6 and its still holding right there after all this time.

suprising the cluth is still good havet had to touch it once.and so is everything else..plus i get a kick out of even more so now..cause i can drive it like i stole it.

i dont think ill get ride of her anytime soon..cause well...i dont have any problems with it..(except for the loose muffler which i need to find a new brand to go with that fits on my muzzy mid pipe)
tierd of fixing that.

other then thats..nothing much as far as problems....maybe i am lucky...but i DO BEAT the shit out of my which is weird..i thought it would be dieing by now:evil

#6 ·
1.) When it's a heap of twisted metal.
2.) When it's no fun anymore.

Only reason I'm getting rid of the maxim is because of the second reason. It runs good ( :bs ) and is comfy, but compared to the SV, it just isn't fun.

If you are having fun with it and it runs good, I'd say keep it. It's serving your purpose.

Chris

#7 ·
My personal Philosophy is: "When you get bored with it and want something faster." :D Could be two weeks could be 5 years. Usually I was buying a new one every year till I got the Bus.

#8 ·
I get rid of bikes when im bored with them. no time frame althought it usually is a year. the zrx is the first bike ive had over a year. i will have my 9 for a while though, its a great bike:D

#9 ·
Every time I got bored I just did some mods. I did everything under the sun to the Gixxer. Finally the new all the mods just quit keeping up with the new bikes. Crashing it was the shortest straw. I had to get a new one instead of trying to fix it. I guess it's just progress.

#10 ·
My problem is that I am bored with the Busa. But they dont make anything bigger out there. If they would come out with a GSXR1800 with 350 HP, I would be lining up at the dealer. Then again I'd be bored with that in a year. I thought about modding the shit out of mine but that just hurts the value and thins start to break. Thats the mistake I made with the ZX-11

#11 ·
GsxrTony said:
My problem is that I am bored with the Busa.
That has to be the biggest oxymoron I've ever seen.:laughing :laughing

Did you try bracket racing with it or something. I always found the addiction of hitting those numbers consistently gives you new respect for your bike.

#12 ·
LOL, Yeah I thought about it. But racing gets expensive. and is hell on the bike. I hate having all this cash tied up in it. When it depreciates so dang fast. I dont want to speed up that decline at all if ya know what i mean. You can only do so many wheelies and 194 MPH passes before it becomes repetitive. :D Maybe its just my A.D.D. but I lose attention on things quick. Now I want to get a 200 HP cruiser, A 22 foot boat, A dirtbike, Snowmobile, and a Raptor. But then again I cant afford any of that. :D

#14 ·
GsxrTony said:
LOL, Yeah I thought about it. But racing gets expensive. and is hell on the bike. I hate having all this cash tied up in it. When it depreciates so dang fast. I dont want to speed up that decline at all if ya know what i mean. You can only do so many wheelies and 194 MPH passes before it becomes repetitive. :D Maybe its just my A.D.D. but I lose attention on things quick. Now I want to get a 200 HP cruiser, A 22 foot boat, A dirtbike, Snowmobile, and a Raptor. But then again I cant afford any of that. :D
Tony:nono ...Tony:nono ...Tony:nono ... It's not an investment. It's a hobby;) :D

#15 ·
KBOlsen said:
Like John says... why sell anything? Just get a bigger garage!
That's what I'm talkin' about:D :cheers :cheers :cheers

#16 ·
KBOlsen said:
Like John says... why sell anything? Just get a bigger garage!
Amen to that! Growing up my dad's buddy Tom(rip) was my hero, besides GIVING me my first bike(a super pimp Manco Thunderbird!!!!!!)..... he ALWAYS had at least 30 bikes in his garage in various states of repair. Half a dozen dirtbikes, some old brit bikes, some old jap bikes, a few sportbikes, a couple cruisers, and some just plain old antique stuff 1917 BMW....

#17 ·
Fast Trader

I usually hold a bike for 1 or two years then trade. The technology moves on, I still have resale value, and by then have extra cash to upgrade. I also do not perform tons of mods to my bikes historically but the GIXXER is different. I have been having fun with this one and making some modifications so maybe I will hold onto it longer.

#18 ·
I've only had 2 bikes. Got rid of the ZX6 for a bigger bike. And you thought I made my 9 look small.

Personally, I'm just going to ride this one into the ground. Not much resale value in it so when its done its just time for a new one.

#19 ·
I get a new bike right after I sweep up the pieces of the old one.

Totalled or stolen: 1976 KZ400, 1979 GS750, 1991 GSXR1100, 1992 GSXR1100, 2000 Hayabusa

What's resale?

#21 ·
Actually, I was counting the Busa among the deceased. I have a GSXR1000 since June and I'm in the process of putting on some "custom graphics" to cover the getoff at BHF in July.:rolleyes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.