Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
[Online]
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a rug about 8'x10' size, may be contemporary, may be oriental - whatever I'll find that I'll like. After researching the subject for a bit, I see that prices at most places are grossly inflated and they vary wildly. The budget is, as it is often, kinda tight - I'd prefer to stay within 1K or so.

Checked IKEA - they had OK quality rugs for cheap but didn't have the size/color combination I needed. Couple of local places - one is extremely cheap - and the rugs are shitty, the other one is way too expensive - I can't pay 5K for a rug at the moment. Macy's (Marshall Fields) prices were surprisingly OK - they are having a sale... but, they have NOTHING in stock and it will take them 4-6 weeks to fill the order, while I want it tomorrow :laughing:

Currently thinking about going to Devon Ave and trying the shops there, I hope they will have OK Indian rugs for cheap.

Still, the question - where to get an OK rug without having to grease up and bend over?

·
TERRAdactyl
6,567 Posts
Seriously... Target has good prices on rugs... for quick contemporary style. Better quality then IKEA. If you want some crappy rug like at IKEA, go to home depot or menards to see what they have there for more than half the price. I got a cool black with white design from home depot for 14 bucks. 5x6.

I had a high quality rug made at a carpet store once. Would have cost $2k if it was a "rug", but I got it for $800 because I had a solid carpet style cut and bound by the carpet store. Check that option out if you are looking for a really nice soft expensive rug for laying around barefoot on.

·
Clever Girl
10,122 Posts
Mannhiem.

·
Jewrassic Park Runaway
2,571 Posts
there is the "rug city" somewhere on Northside - I think its Broadway and Foster or lawrence or somewhere like that - about 3 blocks with 20 oriental and not rug and carpet stores - better quality and cheaper than anywhere else. We got all our area rugs from that area few years ago, but I don't remember the exact location

·
[Online]
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seriously... Target has good prices on rugs... for quick contemporary style. Better quality then IKEA. If you want some crappy rug like at IKEA, go to home depot or menards to see what they have there for more than half the price. I got a cool black with white design from home depot for 14 bucks. 5x6.

I had a high quality rug made at a carpet store once. Would have cost $2k if it was a "rug", but I got it for $800 because I had a solid carpet style cut and bound by the carpet store. Check that option out if you are looking for a really nice soft expensive rug for laying around barefoot on.
Yeah, I haven't thought about Target - good idea, thanks!

I forgot to mention: I also went to Home Depot after IKEA and, surprisingly, IKEA was better. Seriously, they had decent quality and semi-reasonable prices. They actually had a bunch of real oriental rugs for over a grand... Home Depot, on the other side, had some really cheap shit which I couldn't stand touching.

Interesting idea about the carpet store - I'll hold that thought! Thanks! :cheers:

·
[Online]
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A rug really ties the room together.
+1 :1pimp

I really, really, really want to get the right rug. So far, the room is shaping up real sweet: cherry wood, black leather, gold/yellow drapes. Basically, the shades of honey/wood/black leather + black AV boxes (TV/speakers etc). It just needs few right touches to achieve supreme coziness :laughing:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I will check with Marina where we bought ours. They had lots of big sizes in stock. BTW. Yahoo im now

·
[Online]
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there is the "rug city" somewhere on Northside - I think its Broadway and Foster or lawrence or somewhere like that - about 3 blocks with 20 oriental and not rug and carpet stores - better quality and cheaper than anywhere else. We got all our area rugs from that area few years ago, but I don't remember the exact location
I googled a little and it looks like it's on Lawrence, possibly between Kimball and Kedzie. 10 minutes of driving from me - perfect! :cheers: Thanks! :cheers:

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,716 Posts
I would definitely try it, but looks like Macy's doesn't keep any of the rugs in stock, while I want it NOW :laughing:. I'll keep it as an option, though. ;). Thanks!
They have stacks of them weird?

As for Manheim if you drive down it around North and Grand you will see guys selling them at old gas stations.

·
[Online]
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They have stacks of them weird?

As for Manheim if you drive down it around North and Grand you will see guys selling them at old gas stations.
Yeah, that was weird... The lady at Macy's in downtown told me they don't have a single one they can sell - everything has to be ordered. And they don't sell floor models. Takes 4-6 weeks, which is kinda long.

Ah, I see about the Mannheim... :cheers:

·
CUBS fan, not a SOX hater
2,287 Posts
Try Tuesday Morning. Their stores are everywhere and they have high end rugs very cheap. They buy odd lots, first run...not irregulars. You may find a rug you love at one store...but it may be the only one, and not found at any other store.

I found my parents an 8 x 10 rug, same one I found at a high end store for $899...they paid $199.

Nicole

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.