Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Braking or Downshifting??? Or do you do both at the same time?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I lean off the bike 1st - then brake hard, then downshift while braking = smoother shifting/better braking for me.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Neither, im too fast for either one of those, just look and turn!!!!:rofl :rofl

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Neither, im too fast for either one of those, just look and turn!!!!:rofl :rofl
brake first downshift second!

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Well I actually I brake first....and as I get my body position ready to dive in...downshift....and then dive over.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wow, steve, you have matered the blip and break at the same time? Cool. I have tried that a bit, um to no avail. My breaking turns into a real shudder fest, and my blips suck.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
you gotta brake first in order to get engine speeds low enough to allow a downshift.

that is unless you have been coasting for a while. Ideally you want to go from on the gas to on the brakes, then as engine speed falls downshift(while blipping to match revs) in order to keep the bike in powerband.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
i do this all the time..even on the street and MORE so on the track..kinda like steve if thats what he meant.

i set me body up first...then go to applying the front break and down shift at the same time..if i need to do it FAST i blip and slap the gear down my matching rpms...if i got alittle ley way to drag the engine down with the cluth while breaking i use the clutch.

the fastest way around a track...is from GAS to BREAK..and no long down shifts dragging your speed down..if your doing it that way..then your not going as fast as you could.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
I find myself breaking then shifting into 1 & 7 at BHF but opposite for the rest probably due to the speed

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Champ...there's no reason to take turn 7 in 1st....especially on the 9....

You are going in way too slow if you can get into 1st

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Kruz said:
Champ...there's no reason to take turn 7 in 1st....especially on the 9....

You are going in way too slow if you can get into 1st

um kruz?????? where did champ say he was going into 1 & 7 in first gear? he said brake then shift!:twofinger

·
Registered
916 Posts
What are brakes? :evil

Like phozed said I try to setup my body, then brake and downshift... I still use my binders too much. And I'll admit to being a little sloppy on my "bliping" which sometimes makes the R-tire squirm a bit. On the lil'hawk conservation of momentum is KEY, I need to work on using the brakes less and scrub off more speed off the front wheel.

But Hell why even try to improve when Jack makes me look OH SO GOOD:twofinger :evil

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I do both at the same time. (tho sometimes I'm on the brakes first) All and all, on the track, if you're trying to go fast you should be either full throttle or full brakes:- But it's easier said then done.:laughing
Just give it more GAS!!:cheers :cheers

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
No Kruz I'll clear it up for ya, I understand you ride a Honda. Going into turn 1 and 7 I will break then shift. Down to 3rd in turn 1 and 2 for turn 7. I tried 1st gear going into turn 7 once. Back got really silly on me. If ya want I can try to draw you a picture.:twofinger

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
Champ91 said:
If ya want I can try to draw you a picture.:twofinger
start drawing im sure he can use it!!!:twofinger

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scoot over (actually my body is already over from 7, just have to stick out my knee) brake and shift (usually too soon:rolleyes )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts