Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
A.K.A. Vodka Waters
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at getting a new TV for our family room and am on the fence right now about which way to go. First off, I'm looking for a 55" or better ultra thin LED screen. I'm up in the air on the 3D feature, and debating on the Smart TV option. I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII and know that I can be paired up with the Samsung smart TVs that are out now. I have found that the Samsungs we are looking at are a little more than the LG or Sharp screens that are around the same size so there's a decision to be made on if the features are worth it. Lets start with a few questions that hopefully some of you guys can help me out with.

1. What features are available with pairing my Samsung phone with a Samsung TV?

2. Are those features available with other Smart TVs of another brand?

3. I'm seeing ads this week with the Google TV logo on the screens, is that something that I should be looking into?

4. For those who have Smart TVs, do you use the Smart features, are there any that you can't live without, and which one do you use most often?

·
Model citizen
9,949 Posts
We just got a 40" samsung 6100 smart tv. Im curious about what people have to say about the smart features too. We rarely use the features mainly because i really haven't researched what it can do. A keyboard would be helpful ( or even a remote with a cell phone type keypad)

The tv itself is great though.

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,268 Posts
I picked up a 40 inch emerson while out of town working got tired of hotel tvs since half the time they are graining. Have no issues with it and the picture turned out better then sony and the other. could careless about the smart stuff on the tv. its used for my apple tv and ps3

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I just bought this a month or two ago.

Samsung 46" Black LED 1080P 120HZ Smart HDTV - UN46ES6100
Abt Model: UN46ES6100

http://www.abt.com/product/59439/Samsung-UN46ES6100.html

Love it. We didn't need or want the 3D, so this was the model for us. We use the smart features constantly, there is a lot of neat content provided by Samung in addition to the Netfilx, skype, etc.

The Samsung allshare is interesting although I haven't fully set it up yet. It was cool to pull my videos off my computer onto the TV. Also the built in Wi Fi is nice.

The last good thing I will say is Samsung now protects their prices fiercely (I've been told), so you won't find the same TV for hundreds less across town. Which I think is nice.

I also bought mine at ABT and got a discount on the Service plan. I don't usually buy service plans, but I know a guy who works there that says flat screens come back constantly and he thought it was worth it. Also gave me a discount on Cables.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
I bought a 60inch Samsung Plasma 1.5 years ago when I moved into the new house. I love it and have nothing but good things to say about it. I researched till my eyes popped out of my head. I will get the model # if you want but I am sure like everything else there has been 22 new models since then. LOL

·
Moderator,
22,442 Posts
I am also in the market for a 60" flat screen. I was in a store last week and looking at the Panny and Samsung TVs side by side I would have to say I like the Samsung better.

Basically I want a 60" TV with wifi so I can stream Netflix since I don't have cable TV anymore.

·
King Nothing, , ,
17,060 Posts
FWIW, I bought a Samsung LED TV when the technology was first emerging in 2007 and it is still going strong...............Id say they have decent build quality.

·
4,961 Posts
I have a smaller Samsung LED in the bedroom that works great. I'll be looking at 50-ish inch Samsungs soon to replace the old Samsung Slimfit tube tv in the living room. Even that thing is still working great after 8 or 9 years. We're mostly replacing it just so we can hang a flat panel on the wall and be rid of the big ass entertainment center that crowds the room.

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,797 Posts
FWIW, I bought a Samsung LED TV when the technology was first emerging in 2007 and it is still going strong...............Id say they have decent build quality.
I'm still using my 7 year old Panasonic EDTV plasma (that's right, ED) and it's still just as good as the day I bought it.

·
Ridiculously Good Looking
32,521 Posts
Just do what I do - Go to Constco, call Cook and tell him what you see in front of you - He then says, "Pass, Pass, Pass, ooooh, how much? Pass Pass, DISCO!! Get that one" Bought some Panasonic 50 inch for $550 bucks this way and it is Solid

Reactions: BanditCPA

·
A.K.A. Vodka Waters
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked at some of the plasmas, but unless you have them in a really dark room, the blacks look grey and the overall picture is just darker. The room I will be putting this in will have two big windows and a sliding glass door in the adjoining eating area.

From what I can gather, few people have the Smart TVs and don't seem to be missing them. Anyone gone for 3D and been totally blown away or is that technology still a ways off?

·
YO MAMA
46,997 Posts
I bought mine just over a year ago. Like noted. Panasonic plasma or Samsung led.

The question is which do you like better viewing.

Ultra real like live tv (Samsung)
Or really really sharp really with a balance of almost live tv but yet still retains that movie theater type softer smoother viewing. (Panny)

Personally I can't stand that ultra live tv look and found that lanky to be the perfect fit and the sharpest one out there. Light in my room is an issue and I don't have a problem.
The model I got (forgot but do a search) is like 2nd from the top in 65" and is maybe an inch thick.

I really love everything about the t.v.

That's my suggestion that I liked.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
That "ultra live tv" look you're talking about is the result of image processing that's very similar to Photoshop Sharpen tool. It enhances the edges on the fly in order to give it that hyper-crisp look, and can (and should) be shut off.

All of the quality TVs mentioned should be able to reproduce studio standard video. The differences are going to be in technology which will give you different black levels, brightness levels, larger color pallet, then all the bells and whistles that go along with a modern TV.

I'm a bit biased, I feel that all video should be dialed into studio standards...ditch the sharpening and all that shit, just make it look like it did at the studio, and worry about black levels, DONE.

·
A.K.A. Vodka Waters
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That sounds like someone volunteered to come set up my TV when I get it. Thanks LR!

Want to do the sound system while you're at it? I know you like making speakers sound their best...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.