Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hypothetically speaking, if I wanted a 2nd dog, which breed should I get??

I was tossing the idea around about getting Bella a boyfriend for her b-day :laughing: so it's going to be male, but since she is a pitbull, I want a dog that's going to be about the same size as her (maybe a lil smaller) and a breed that is generally submissive since her breed is dominant. Any suggestions?

·
[Online]
3,695 Posts
Check out Rottweilers. They are the opposite of submissive, though - quite dominant. But they have great personality and are about the same size as your Bella.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
For as much as you travel do you really think that's fair? Remember how much time you have to spend with a puppy for the first year.... If you're gone 2-3 weeks out of the month who is going to care for him and what kind of structure is that going to provide him if he's constantly moving houses? Majority of dogs that would get along with bella and be submissive are still going to be high-energy dogs otherwise they're going to be irritated by how obnoxious bella is.

·
CUBS fan, not a SOX hater
2,275 Posts
I loved the boston yesterday at the park,
Ya...that's Fiona. She's a saturday 'regular'...lol..and MiMi's best friend! When that GSD went after her, did you see all the people defend Fiona. She is so awesome..

Nicole

·
2,275 Posts
Check out Rottweilers. They are the opposite of submissive, though - quite dominant. But they have great personality and are about the same size as your Bella.

I would never put a pitbull in the same house as a Rott...you are seriously asking for trouble.

I've been showing dogs and competeing/training in competitive obedience for 25 yrs (put my first CD on a poodle when he was 10 and I was 10)...and Meech and I had a long discussion about Bella, who she is and what her temperment is like. She has a very good temperment for a pitbull, but thats because meech really works hard at soocializing her...and the second she sees even a hint of dominance, or aggressive play she ends it. Rotts themselves can be great dogs, but I think a rott would definitly push that level of dominance that Bella has to a point that it may become a problem. I personally wuld stick with something much more passive. A dog who will not challenge Bella, but understand the pecking order and repect it.

Nicole

·
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
11,172 Posts
For as much as you travel do you really think that's fair? Remember how much time you have to spend with a puppy for the first year.... If you're gone 2-3 weeks out of the month who is going to care for him and what kind of structure is that going to provide him if he's constantly moving houses? Majority of dogs that would get along with bella and be submissive are still going to be high-energy dogs otherwise they're going to be irritated by how obnoxious bella is.

with this additional info I agree with nick,

we do want to get a second dog and when we do me and eva will be working opposite hours so we can be with the dog training and structuring all the time. now is not the right time for a new dog till you settle down.

·
2,275 Posts
Don't go w/ a cattle dog, that's for sure...unless you want some drama :)

I love cattle dogs and have shown a few...some of the toughest, most pig headed dogs I've ever worked with...lol!

Nicole

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would never put a pitbull in the same house as a Rott...you are seriously asking for trouble.

I've been showing dogs and competeing/training in competitive obedience for 25 yrs (put my first CD on a poodle when he was 10 and I was 10)...and Meech and I had a long discussion about Bella, who she is and what her temperment is like. She has a very good temperment for a pitbull, but thats because meech really works hard at soocializing her...and the second she sees even a hint of dominance, or aggressive play she ends it. Rotts themselves can be great dogs, but I think a rott would definitly push that level of dominance that Bella has to a point that it may become a problem. I personally wuld stick with something much more passive. A dog who will not challenge Bella, but understand the pecking order and repect it.

Nicole
:cheers: exactly....I'm thinking a lab or GSP

with this additional info I agree with nick,

we do want to get a second dog and when we do me and eva will be working opposite hours so we can be with the dog training and structuring all the time. now is not the right time for a new dog till you settle down.

:rolleyes neither one of you should talk about things you have no idea about ;)

thanks for the laughs though :laughing:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shoulda clarafied, "with JUST this info"
it's all good :cheers: it just cracks me up when people who have no clue about my daily life/schedule chime in :jester I guess it's my own fault for messing around too much on this board :laughing: maybe I should make a disclaimer :laughing:

Nicole - what do ya think about a bloodhound / harrier mix?!? Boths breeds seem to be very gentle and easy-going :)

·
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
11,172 Posts
it's all good :cheers: it just cracks me up when people who have no clue about my daily life/schedule chime in :jester I guess it's my own fault for messing around too much on this board :laughing: maybe I should make a disclaimer :laughing:

actually its the other way around..... I dont know what you do.

everyone on here knows my life on the boards, :robewizar you must post more!!

I was going to suggest bloodhound / beagle except one neg thing about beagle is their vocal ability.

·
2,275 Posts

Nicole - what do ya think about a bloodhound / harrier mix?!? Boths breeds seem to be very gentle and easy-going :)

Bloodhounds are aweosme dogs! Not real bright <G> and they are drool monsters...but amazing and passive family dogs. Harriers have a bit more spunk...and again are fairly passive. Could be a good mix for Bella!

We had a blast with Bella...can't wait to see her again!

Nicole

·
Registered
3,260 Posts

I'm only going off of your weekly posts about traveling to australia, brazil, germany, etc etc all within 3 weeks.

If you have the time go for it. I'd stay away from a GSD, they can be territorial and dominant, a lab or retriever would be great if you have the time. But I guess if you have the time it really doesn't matter.

I spend a whole bunch of time socializing Hoss (also a pit for those that don't know). His best friend is the female Rotty that lives below me. They play for hours and neither has ever displayed a single sign of aggression but it still doesn't mean I don't watch them. So if you have the time get what you want.

·
SICK OF IT ALL
4,471 Posts
i think a lab would be a good choice,,,great dogs,,,

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
even though ive already picked a lab (now 2 weeks!)

if i had to pick again id choose one of these guys, because they look so fucking cool.

Australian Shephard

Siberian Husky

*especially* that siberian husky, that dog is :1pimp

·
Registered
312 Posts
i think another pitbull is the best choice. a male pup would do fine as long as he grew up with her. dominance would not be as big a factor as you may believe. i have had a good deal of pitbull experience. anyone without pitbull experience can only speculate, or at best make a educated guess.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm only going off of your weekly posts about traveling to australia, brazil, germany, etc etc all within 3 weeks.
:laughing: I know. I travel once a month internationally for about a week. The rest of the time, I have Bella with me pretty much 24/7 ;) I even take her with on some of my domestic trips

i think a lab would be a good choice,,,great dogs,,,
I was thinking that but I'm not sure I want to deal with the hair all over the place :laughing: I'm kinda spoiled with Bella.

even though ive already picked a lab (now 2 weeks!)

if i had to pick again id choose one of these guys, because they look so fucking cool.

Australian Shephard

Siberian Husky

*especially* that siberian husky, that dog is :1pimp
I love those Siberian Huskey dogs!! Again though with the shedding :laughing:

i think another pitbull is the best choice. a male pup would do fine as long as he grew up with her. dominance would not be as big a factor as you may believe. i have had a good deal of pitbull experience. anyone without pitbull experience can only speculate, or at best make a educated guess.
I was toying around with that idea as well.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts