Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going shopping tomorrow to upgrade my Saab to an SUV.

Here is my list of wants, which SUV best suits my needs.

>50K miles
4x4
able to tow small trailer
large enough back to put the dog in, and she can lay down
reliable
~17 avg MPG (50% city / 50% highway)
resonably priced say ~16K
resonable maintence and repair costs
age isn't important.

here is the basic list of vehicles that I am looking at. THoughts?

Honda Pilot
Ford Explorer
Jeep Grand Cherokee

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have an '02 TrailBlazer LTZ that I'm very happy with. It has more options than a lexus! It would also fit all of your req's. The gas mileage is a touch lower (but that could just be the way I drive...I do more city than highway). The computer is telling me I'm averaging 16.5 MPG. BTW, if you want to stick with Saab....they do have a TrailBlazer with Saab badges on it.

·
Resident Slow Guy
7,386 Posts
Toyota 4Runner FTW.

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toyota 4Runner FTW.
the problem is that the toyota 4runners are the SUV equivalent of fucking gold. they sell for $thousands more then the competition.

·
Enjoying Life!!
17,771 Posts
of the 3 you posted I would go Jeep ;)

I also had a Trailblazer and would buy another. Great vehicle.

·
Resident Slow Guy
7,386 Posts
the problem is that the toyota 4runners are the SUV equivalent of fucking gold. they sell for $thousands more then the competition.
True, but they are worth their weight in gold and hold their value well. I love my 4Runner.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
MDX FTW. Pilots are identical to MDX's, cept for that fugly ass big knob in the middle of the radio.

03 MDX - 45k miles = no problems. 7 seater, tow, handles like a normal car, great gas mileage (ULEV vehicle), lastly, it's an Acura. Only thing i can think of that can go wrong is the tranny.

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lesbowagon subaru forester! just ask sponge =) hell he tow hooked his sr4t :lmao:
fiancee doesn't like the look, too much of a station wagon she says

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MDX FTW. Pilots are identical to MDX's, cept for that fugly ass big knob in the middle of the radio.

03 MDX - 45k miles = no problems. 7 seater, tow, handles like a normal car, great gas mileage (ULEV vehicle), lastly, it's an Acura. Only thing i can think of that can go wrong is the tranny.
i like the MDX alot, however finding one with resonable miles is increasingly difficult. most have high miles or our out of my comfort range money wise.

The pilot, however, is at the top of the range.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
i like the MDX alot, however finding one with resonable miles is increasingly difficult. most have high miles or our out of my comfort range money wise.

The pilot, however, is at the top of the range.
They're pretty identical space/handling wise. I just don't dig the shape (too boxy) compared to teh MDX.

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They're pretty identical space/handling wise. I just don't dig the shape (too boxy) compared to teh MDX.
having driven the pilot and having ridden in an MDX, yes they are very similar, I like them both. I just can't justify spending that much on a vehicle

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an '02 TrailBlazer LTZ that I'm very happy with. It has more options than a lexus! It would also fit all of your req's. The gas mileage is a touch lower (but that could just be the way I drive...I do more city than highway). The computer is telling me I'm averaging 16.5 MPG. BTW, if you want to stick with Saab....they do have a TrailBlazer with Saab badges on it.
i like the trailblazer too. A friend had one and liked it quite a bit.

·
Go ahead, I'll catch up
1,230 Posts
I have a Murano and like it. It gets about 19 mpg overall. Tow max is 3,500lbs. It rides and handles like car but provides the benefits of an SUV. I am not sure if you can find one in your price range but if you can, I recommend it.

Ride safe,

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a Murano and like it. It gets about 19 mpg overall. Tow max is 3,500lbs. It rides and handles like car but provides the benefits of an SUV. I am not sure if you can find one in your price range but if you can, I recommend it.

Ride safe,
the murano is high on my list as is the highlander.

·
Defender of the Innocent
2,918 Posts
I have a Montero and I love it!
Don't go though to Max Madson. Go to Mitsubishi dealer on Grand ave. They are fairly new (took over the dealership) and they seem to care :)

·
VTwin FTW!
5,564 Posts
We have had our 2002 Explorer for about 4 years now and it has been great! No problems at all. We bought it used in 2003 with about 15K miles, it now has about 65K. My wife likes it a lot and so do I. It has the 6 cylinder in it and is fast for it's size.

I would buy another one and definitely recommend it to anyone.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts