Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to install Win2K3 R2 SP2 onto a new Dell 9G 2950. The driver for the Perc 5i controller does not exist on the Win2K3 CD. How do I "slipstream" the driver onto the disk?

I can't use a floppy and press F6 at setup. I need the driver to exist on the CD.

·
-= OuterSpace =-
3,513 Posts
Trying to install Win2K3 R2 SP2 onto a new Dell 9G 2950. The driver for the Perc 5i controller does not exist on the Win2K3 CD. How do I "slipstream" the driver onto the disk?

I can't use a floppy and press F6 at setup. I need the driver to exist on the CD.
Do you have the Dell CD that came with the server?....

You need to install the OS using the Dell install CD.

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the Dell CD that came with the server?....

You need to install the OS using the Dell install CD.
Yea, I know that works. I am not doing a fresh install.

I am upgrading from Win2K to Win2K3, but at the point in the setup where it prompts me for a driver, the USB mouse and keyboard don't work. Even if I boot to the CD to do the upgrade that way (and use F6 to get past the first time I need the driver) I still get prompted again later in the setup and at that point, the USB driver for the mouse and keyboard must not be loaded because they don't work.

·
-= OuterSpace =-
3,513 Posts
Yea, I know that works. I am not doing a fresh install.

I am upgrading from Win2K to Win2K3, but at the point in the setup where it prompts me for a driver, the USB mouse and keyboard don't work. Even if I boot to the CD to do the upgrade that way (and use F6 to get past the first time I need the driver) I still get prompted again later in the setup and at that point, the USB driver for the mouse and keyboard must not be loaded because they don't work.
If that's the case I think your only plan would be to make a new bootable OS CD with the new Perc driver copied to it.

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If that's the case I think your only plan would be to make a new bootable OS CD with the new Perc driver copied to it.
That's what I am asking - how do I do that?

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
apple FTW!

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
apple FTW!
Does apple have a server OS?

Idiot.

I am going to uninstall PC Anywhere to see if that correct the mouse/keyboard issue and I am going to copy the percsas.sys file its looking for into c:\winnt\system32\drivers and see if it picks it up.

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are tons of ways.

What burning software you have? Some have an option to make the CD bootable.

check this link > http://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=157
What the OP is looking for is a program called Nlite (google it).

According to the docs, "nLite supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86/x64 in all languages. "

This program does all the dirty work of slipstreaming drivers, updates, hotfixes, sp's, etc. Ultimately producing either a cd, or a burnable/mountable ISO file.

Best of all, it's free!
Njoy! :)

Thanks. MS has a article 814847 to slipstream hotfixes, but not just a driver.

I'll check out the nlite.

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uninstalling PcAnywhere prior to starting the upgrade solved my problem. At least now I can click OK and Browse and then point it to the percsas.sys file.

:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts