Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
the way i are
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!

It's been a long time since I've visited the forums, but I've had a question regarding winter bike storage for awhile and suddenly remembered I can ask yall! (I've been preoccupied)

Since Chicago has such a short riding season :( and this is my first time owning a bike, do I need a trickle charger for the battery? Or is removing the battery enough?

I just installed a brand new battery about 2 months ago.

Jammin recommended using a trickle charger; one of my coworkers said he always just took out the battery and had no problems. Is there a trade-off between one or the other?

I'm planning on storing my bike at one of my friend's garages since I don't have one of my own, so I don't know how frequently I would be able to visit the bike and start the engine....

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
trickle charging all winter long may not be a good idea. remove the battery and you may need a quick charge before you put er back in for spring. also NEVER put your battery on the ground, store in a safe place with decent ventilation.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
trickle charging all winter long may not be a good idea. remove the battery and you may need a quick charge before you put er back in for spring. also NEVER put your battery on the ground, store in a safe place with decent ventilation.
Exactly.

Under200

·
Chief Apex Inspector
10,597 Posts

·
the way i are
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm why can't the battery be placed on the ground?

Thanks for the help : D

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
hmm why can't the battery be placed on the ground?

Thanks for the help : D
The battery will discharge itself, i forgot the specific scientific reasons behind it but you can probably google it or i'm sure one of these guys will post up their brains on it.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,583 Posts
Leave the battery in the bike. Hookup the quick connect that comes with the Battery Tender. Instant on, instant off. I do this to all my bikes.

I've been doing this since my 2001 F4i and have never had a dead battery. My F4i battery was about 4 years old and fired the bike up every single time. Then again, we are talking about a Honda.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just always fill up my gas tank just before i put it away for the winter. I check the coolant as well. Then i just put the bike on stands and go out once a week to start the bike. I let it run until the fan kicks on so i know that the thermostat has opened and flushed the coolant around in the engine and radiator. Then i shut it off. Ive never had to replace a battery on a motorcycle doing this. Its just like using a battery tender, except your using your bikes own charging system and it moves around any crap thats in your oil right to the filter.

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
I just always fill up my gas tank just before i put it away for the winter. I check the coolant as well. Then i just put the bike on stands and go out once a week to start the bike. I let it run until the fan kicks on so i know that the thermostat has opened and flushed the coolant around in the engine and radiator. Then i shut it off. Ive never had to replace a battery on a motorcycle doing this. Its just like using a battery tender, except your using your bikes own charging system and it moves around any crap thats in your oil right to the filter.
Is it true that some bikes charging systems don't recharge the battery until up to a certain RPM? I know I read that somewhere, but that's what I did a few years ago for one winter and it worked just fine.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
Is it true that some bikes charging systems don't recharge the battery until up to a certain RPM? I know I read that somewhere, but that's what I did a few years ago for one winter and it worked just fine.
On the SV it's supposed to be 3k or 3.5k or something. I read it in the service manual.

·
Registered
320 Posts
:righton:

·
DONATING MEMBER
25,071 Posts
Yes most bikes actually drain power while they are idling. We hear people say all the time "they know the battery must be bad because I started it up every month and let it idle for ten minutes." Not good.

·
Wild slide rule roots
1,735 Posts
True. The alternator output is directly related to the engine speed. If the generator output isn't enough to meet demand, the battery has to make up the rest. At least, the battery won't charge under those conditions. At worst, you can actually DISCHARGE the battery by idling the bike, though not very far.

The battery will discharge itself [if left on concrete], i forgot the specific scientific reasons behind it but you can probably google it or i'm sure one of these guys will post up their brains on it.
No, it won't, although it's probably a better idea not to leave it on the floor where it can be knocked around, tripped over, or have dirt and junk dropped onto it.

I think the idea is that the electricity leaks out of the battery into the ground if it's left there, but that's just silly.

trickle charging all winter long may not be a good idea. remove the battery and you may need a quick charge before you put er back in for spring.
It all depends. Leaving a motorcycle battery on an appropriately sized trickle charger is fine. Leaving it on a car battery trickle charger is a very bad idea: many auto trickle chargers are sized around 2 amps, which is considered a full-rate charge or more for many bike batteries and will easily burn out the electrolyte if left on for too long.

A Battery Tender works on a different theory, by switching the charge on or off as needed rather than providing a constant, limited rate charge, but it's much closer to what you want than a trickle charger.

Pulling the battery and leaving it on the shelf is fine. Clean it up thoroughly first with some soap and water and make sure it's kept in a clean, dry place, ideally protected from freezing temperatures. Keep an eye on the voltage if you can: if it drops below 12.8 volts, give it a bit of a charge.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
Get a battery tender. Put Stabil in a full tank Wash it dry it cover it and let it sit. If a car gets warmed up in the garage with a bike make sure it is covered tight and out of the way of the main exhaust flow. Before you do store run it long enough on the street that the oil goes all through out coolent cycles once and the battery gets a full charge.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ditto to using a Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. I leave the battery in the bike and plug it in all winter. My bike is in my unheated garage from December 1 until March 1.

Before putting my bike away I:

Change oil and filter
Fill the gas tank and add the correct amount of Stabil, running the bike a bit so the Stabil gets into the carbs.
Clean the bike thoroughly and completely, including the chain, which gets a fresh coat of lube.
I put my bike on its center stand, and put a small piece of carpet or an old mouse pad under the front wheel to insulate it from the concrete.
I cover the bike with an old bed sheet to keep the dust and dirt off. I don't have a bona fide bike cover.

After doing this, my bike sits for three months. (My insurance coverage drops to just include Comprehensive during this period.) I never start it up. You don't want to run it for a short time allowing condensation to build up but not burn off. The bike is just fine sitting there, prepped properly, plugged into the Battery Tender for three months. It always starts up just fine after the beginning of March.

Keytickler

·
Two point Slow
554 Posts
^ +1
Exact same thing I do..
Still use the original battery :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts