Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have any good ideas on what exactly to do to your bike to keep it fit as a fiddle for the ho hum winter blues months? i want to put Sta-bill in my tank, but don't feel like reading thru my boring manual to find out what Suzuki suggests. also, how often should i just hop on, dream, and let the damned thing run to keep it ready?:confused

thanks.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yeah what he said. I need to know what to do with my baby duckling now that winter is almost upon us.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
just ride all winter long then you dont need to worry about it.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
In olden times, salt would have been used to preserve your duckling, Duckling!

(yeah, I really didn't need that second cup of coffee today):jester

·
Registered
899 Posts
KBOlsen said:
In olden times, salt would have been used to preserve your duckling, Duckling!

(yeah, I really didn't need that second cup of coffee today):jester
:rofl QUACK :rofl

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Champ91 said:
just ride all winter long then you dont need to worry about it.
Like he said.

Salt won't hurt it. If your really paranoid about salt just throw a bucket of hot water on front and bakc of the engine and it will wash away. Everything else on the bike is plastic. Plastic doesn't care about salt. Even unpolished aluminum doesn't corrode enough to really notice.

I put on over 1000 miles last year from DEC 1st - March 1st. It's all good.:thumbsup

PS - I'm not stupid enough to do that again.:D

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
Well first you need to decide wether or not your gonna store it for the winter, or ride it or let it run every once in awhile.

If your gonna let it run or a possible ride, just use a battery tender and dont worry about winterizing it. I would reccomend parking it on a piece of carpet atleast though... keeps the dampness away from the bike better then concrete.

If your gonna store it for the winter do these few things atleast.
1 Fill the tank to the top with Stabil added
2 Start it then shut off the gas and let it run out of gas on its own, that way the bowls will be empty{ if you have fuel injection forget this part}
3 Pull the plugs and give each cylinder a squirt of oil
4 Yank the battery out and keep it in a warm dry area
5 tuck it in with a nice blanky or cover and forget about it.
Again park it on carpet

Hope this helps...... Im sure theres many different ways people do it so take what you want and leave the rest.

·
CLSB SuperHero
1,808 Posts
HooliganZX6 said:
Well first you need to decide wether or not your gonna store it for the winter, or ride it or let it run every once in awhile.

If your gonna let it run or a possible ride, just use a battery tender and dont worry about winterizing it. I would reccomend parking it on a piece of carpet atleast though... keeps the dampness away from the bike better then concrete.

If your gonna store it for the winter do these few things atleast.
1 Fill the tank to the top with Stabil added
2 Start it then shut off the gas and let it run out of gas on its own, that way the bowls will be empty{ if you have fuel injection forget this part}
3 Pull the plugs and give each cylinder a squirt of oil
4 Yank the battery out and keep it in a warm dry area
5 tuck it in with a nice blanky or cover and forget about it.
Again park it on carpet

Hope this helps...... Im sure theres many different ways people do it so take what you want and leave the rest.
Good suggestions. I am actually gonna start her over the winter, and if the roads are dry, take her for a spin around the block a few times. My question is, battery tender???? Who, what, when, where and why??:confused

·
Registered
386 Posts
You won't need a battery tender, if you take it out and ride it every once in a while. I put the battery tender on when the snow starts to stay on the ground. The battery tender is good to have on it for extended periods fo time(down time of more than 2-3 weeks). It keeps the battery charged during this time. Just remember that when you start your bike in the winter and let it warm up, then shut it off and go into the house, you will get condensation in the oil. Be sure to change oil before riding in the spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts