Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with what they are putting on the shelves?

After a little research, I guess it's still in "beta" stages or Draft 2.0, but I am assuming it's still better than G.

If I'm gaming on my current G router, and have friends surfing the web or want to game also, bandwidth is teh suck. So I was thinking about getting the N router. Since that is the case, I'd run it on "mixed" so all network cards can utilize it, but am wondering if I can switch it to "greenfield" for maximum performance.

Suggestions? advice?

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
I have an N router but my laptop os still G so I dont notice difference.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Here's a suggestion, save your money and paint your bike so it doesn't look like a chick bike anymore :)

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts

TREASON!

Just go buy the router dingleberry :cheers:

·
I wok!
3,079 Posts
i dont see how the higher speed router iwll improve your online gaming. its not doing anything to the pipe coming into your house other than distributing it

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a suggestion, save your money and paint your bike so it doesn't look like a chick bike anymore :)
I've got an idea, come over and help me paint it :twofinger

i dont see how the higher speed router iwll improve your online gaming. its not doing anything to the pipe coming into your house other than distributing it
No, it won't help my gaming, I still suck, but I hate getting disconnected. And I only get dc'ed when other people are on my signal, and they're just surfing the net.

·
stuck in 6th gear,
7,631 Posts
if you're gaming, switch your connections to hardwire instead of wireless. the encryption between the AP and your card is overhead and slows down response time.

and to answer your original question, N is faster/better than G but probably not worth it at current prices for the minor bump in speed that you would see over a home connection.

if you run it in 5GHz mode only you'll also see better throughput as there's less interference from other household junk (cordless phones, microwave oven, ...)

·
The Benchwarmer
14,574 Posts
while thats true that its not increasing the actual speed he gets from his connection through his ISP, it does increase the transfer rate to the router/hub. Like when you have G with a 54mpbs stream versus being wired with a cat5. if hes receiving his data from the router at half what he could because hes wireless, id say thats a speed disadvantage.

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you're gaming, switch your connections to hardwire instead of wireless. the encryption between the AP and your card is overhead and slows down response time.

and to answer your original question, N is faster/better than G but probably not worth it at current prices for the minor bump in speed that you would see over a home connection.
Hardwire is a good idea. I suck at networking... so I get a little ethernet cable thingy, and plug it from the wireless router directly into the laptop, that way other people can still use the wireless....??

·
stuck in 6th gear,
7,631 Posts
Hardwire is a good idea. I suck at networking... so I get a little ethernet cable thingy, and plug it from the wireless router directly into the laptop, that way other people can still use the wireless....??
yep, that'll do. just get a cat5e patch cable. if you don't have any, I've got tons. how long of a cable do you need?

Wink probably has tons of them in his basement too so go mooch one from him if you need something in a hurry

·
The Sausage king
3,003 Posts
I'm also looking at a wireless N router (DIR-655.) I currently have a Linksys Wireless G router that's about 4-5 years old and I'm starting to have connection issues. The wireless signal drops, I reboot it the WAP and my connection is good.
I also have bad signal in the spot I want to mount the router and the DIR-655 advertises better range over wireless G. Anyone have any comments? I know my comcast is the bottleneck to the internet, but I also have a NAS on my network and fast transfer speed to the NAS would be nice.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
N is still a draft version so the IEEE can still make a change to the final standard so I would hold off on any N purchases until the standard is finalized. A wired connection is more reliable and faster than a wireless anyday.

·
The Sausage king
3,003 Posts
N is still a draft version so the IEEE can still make a change to the final standard so I would hold off on any N purchases until the standard is finalized. A wired connection is more reliable and faster than a wireless anyday.
Yeah, I've been reading up on N draft but there are articles stating that it was supposed to be finalized by summer 2007, then by the end of 2007 and I think I read in CNET that now its supposed to be finalized in late 2008. I might just buy it and if it works with my existing networked devices, just keep it.

I've got a bulk cat5 cable I can make for you if you still need it.
Thanks for the offer Eugene. That is definitely the best way to go, but I just don't want to have wires all over the place especially since my basement is already finished. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts