Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd see what you guys thoughts were on why the back tire might wag back and forth while your riding a wheelie. I'm pretty sure I've got the rear axle even on both sides, but I got a bit of a scare last night from it. I pulled it up, and right off the bat, the back tire jumped left on me (pretty sure it wasn't rider error) and about sent me over into the ditch. :mad

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. :-

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
pureadrenaline said:
Just thought I'd see what you guys thoughts were on why the back tire might wag back and forth while your riding a wheelie. I'm pretty sure I've got the rear axle even on both sides, but I got a bit of a scare last night from it. I pulled it up, and right off the bat, the back tire jumped left on me (pretty sure it wasn't rider error) and about sent me over into the ditch. :mad

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. :-

Could have been something in the rode. How fresh are your tires?? Bad tires or out of balance tires could do that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got about 4000 or so (it's really a guess) on my Rennsports. Tread on them isn't to bad yet, but I know it's startin to get low.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
pureadrenaline said:
I've got about 4000 or so (it's really a guess) on my Rennsports. Tread on them isn't to bad yet, but I know it's startin to get low.

My bet would be something on the road unless you tried to turn the bars cause then the momentum of the spinning front wheel could throw you the opposite direction you turned it.

Try doing some small first gear wheelies. If it keeps pushing you to the right something has to be out of wack.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
did it use to or all of a sudden start?
we arnt much of a stunt board but theres a few of us that do like it..LIKE ME:evil

how fast and what gear where you in?
also too high high where you?...standing or sitting when it happens?

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
It's cold out, are you sure the rear tire isn't just spinnnig up. Are you near the balance point or are you mostly useing power (acceleration) to hold up the front end.

·
"PC" ,my balls
1,620 Posts
I've read that lowering tire pressure makes it easier to steer. You hadn't just aired up the tires, had you? Or maybe the cooler weather made the tire pressure too low. With wheelies like mine this is not a concern. Mine land before I get out of the driveway.:laughing

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Cross wind or tire slippage would be my bet. I've had some nasty wobbles from cross winds. And it is getting cold out which can reduce traction significantly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was out in a crosswind practicing wheeliez for about 45 minutes one day and everytime the wind picked up, that bike would go apeshit when the front would come up. It was like the tail end just wanted to kick out straight from under me.....

·
Registered
193 Posts
HondaHirny said:
I was out in a crosswind practicing wheeliez for about 45 minutes one day and everytime the wind picked up, that bike would go apeshit when the front would come up. It was like the tail end just wanted to kick out straight from under me.....
Wheelies on your Trek don't count Mafia boy. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crazy said:

My bet would be something on the road unless you tried to turn the bars cause then the momentum of the spinning front wheel could throw you the opposite direction you turned it.
I'm thinking it was probably the road, at this point. I pulled one up on the interstate yesterday, and it tracked fine.

Odysseys- These were 1st gear wheelies. Just getting a little footage for making some transitions on a video.

Cherrypicker- I usually power up to the balance point. I'm not good enough (or comfortable, for that matter) at clutch wheelies to NOT wear the shit out of my clutch. :(

Thanks for the thoughts guys. :cheers

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
I used to do first gear roll ons on my Busa. once you get the hang of a clutch wheelie in second first gear will seem boring. It a whole different woprld of smooooooothness :D :D

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
pureadrenaline said:
Powering up 2nd is fun as well. :thumbsup

I agree though, I can imagine clutch wheelies are a little easier to ride out.
yup clutch it up around 30 in second and bam you can ride it out for a while :D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I like second much better. It seems much smoother and easier to control on my bike even if your doing 60-70mph by the time your done.:D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Odysseys said:

on a liter bike try more like 95-105mpr;) :evil i know
Not for me. I don't ride em' out as long as you:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
captainpeebody said:

Wheelies on your Trek don't count Mafia boy. :D
Boy, you jusk keep on pushin. Don't make me make you my bitch again...fuckin polish Gimp :laughing

I did actually own a real motorcycle at one point...an XX. Pete's jealous cause hiz wheeliez are ga'bage on his 600 gixxer. Although he'll probably say it's a 750/1000 cause his cheap ass took the 600 stickers off :twofinger

Pete, you have a gerbil motor in your bike, just face it and take it like a man :twofinger :laughing J/K brotha.....

:jester

·
Everybody to the Limit
469 Posts
I'm sure all the things pointed out so far may have been the cause of the wayward wheelie but here is another possibility. One evening my buddies and I decided to video some wheelies. We picked a remote country road and decided to do a side by side wheelie past the camera. We pulled 'em up and both immediately headed for our respective ditches. Turns out the road had more crown in it than most and even though it was almost impossible to see, once you stood back and looked you could tell. Surprised the hell outta both of us.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts