Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about one last trip down there. It's about 650 one way. Leave on a Friday, and come back Sunday. It might be chilly up here, but nice there. You know, changing colors and all. So far, there are two of us on 12's going. We ride very fast, but are radar protected. Let me know who might be up for it. J

G

·
I would love to go again.. but, being I just got back from there and dont have a friday off I cant.. Maybe next time.. its a great ride.. the Tenn side has new Pavement.. holds strong.. warnign on the NC side.. its has ruts all the way up and down.. appears they ran a leveling machine or something.. you set one line and the next thing ya know our on a different one..

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Yes please. I'm finishing up a big year long project, so I could use a little vacation.

·
Everybody to the Limit
469 Posts
Who else is going? Helmethead? I could do it on the weekend of 19-20-21.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yep Steve might be going with you guys this weekend as well. I can wait till that weekend as long as everyone knows how chilly it probably will be. We still have to figure out the Gingerman track day. I will call you later today. J

Cherry, I will plan out some more stuff in a couple of days. J

·
stuck in 6th gear,
7,631 Posts
Motobeagle said:
I am thinking about one last trip down there. It's about 650 one way. Leave on a Friday, and come back Sunday. It might be chilly up here, but nice there. You know, changing colors and all. So far, there are two of us on 12's going. We ride very fast, but are radar protected. Let me know who might be up for it. J
that's pretty hardcore driving for only one day of riding. it's about 11 hours to drive each way. resting up so you can enjoy the ride barely gives you one day to do the gap, skyway and some of the other routes.

it really is beautiful down there. I'd recommend staying longer than a weekend....

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
Unless you have a great route getting there, I'm with Ernie, I'd rather trailer there.... beside there is also the risk of balling up the biek there and having no way to get it home. It only takes a broken lever, peg or clip-on to make a bike that relatively undamaged, unrideable. I think we'll have more fun if we trailer the bikes or at least one person brings a trailer.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not really a trailer guy, but if you want to thats cool. I got the insurance rider for roadside assistance. Maybe more than three days will be better, but it will take more planning. I will post more later. J

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
Hey Gulpacoke, are there any roads still under construction? I was there in the spring just before the 129 work started but the Blue Ridge had a detour on it many, many miles in.

I'm headed down there with a party of four Thursday night.

G

·
Didnt see any detours on 129.... was some construction on 19 way into NC... its clear sailing all the way down to merryville(SP) the Tenn side like I said is beautiful new pavement.. Remember to stop into the hotel at the end of the Tenn side to buy your souviners.. either that or wait till ya get to the end of NC side and get them from the bike shop there.. PS.. they have a couple nice bikes for sale.. looked cheap.. but then that might just be me..

Have fun....

·
Everybody to the Limit
469 Posts
I'm looking into buying a trailer today. If it works out I will have an extra spot. Just throwing out ideas.

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
Yes, I'm familiar with the tail of the dragon tent at the overlook. The store and motel have even come a long way over the last two years with the new and ambitious management.

I actually checked the Tailofthedragon site and it seem all the area roads are clear. We tend to stay in Alcoa (near Maryville) and like to ride as far out as Black Mountain, NC to Jamie James restaraunt, The French Quarter Cafe.

It's a good time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can go anytime in the last week of Setember if anyone would be interested going then. I should have my R1 back by then and I get a week of from med school then as well.

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
I just got home tonight from the Deal's Gap area and have to say to those who are going, you're in for a treat. The Dragon has been repaved, and is in beautiful shape. Police traffic was low. The only complaint other than the rainy weather (bring rain gear) was all th gravel thrown onto the road by the Honda S2000's that were holding a rally there this weekend. They tend to run off the roads a bit dragging the gravel into the corners with them. Other roads like the Foothills parkway and the Blue Ridge parkway were in great shape. The leaves are still on the tres for the most part, and I'd suggest going before the fall on the roadway making it slippery.

Have fun!

G

·
Ricerocket.. Welcome back....

Its quite the trip isnt it..

I guess I have to say I told ya so on the roads..

Good thing is you made it back in one piece..

·
Banned
3,495 Posts
In case your interested.... The roads we did in Wisconsin thsisweekend were pretty sweet and only 4 hours away. The longest section was only about 10 miels with maybe 30-40 turns, but then you just turned aroudn and ran it 4 times.

·
Everybody to the Limit
469 Posts
I forgot about the leaves falling. Maybe we should make it earlier in the maonth than the 19-20-21 weekend. I'll just have to call off work.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys,

I have been busting trying to figure out what weekend. First off my bike is down with a bad rotor, and I can't figure out when I can get a replacement. I have been working like crazy, and I will figure something out soon.
In the meantime a buddy of mine is planning a long day trip towards the river again. I will post more on it in a few days. We are planning on the weekend after next. The 28th or 29th. :cheers

·
(no comment)
353 Posts
gulpacoke said:
Ricerocket.. Welcome back....

Its quite the trip isnt it..

I guess I have to say I told ya so on the roads..

Good thing is you made it back in one piece..
Why thank you. Yes, you did tell me so. The roads are in great shape, even better than I imagined.

With three veteran Gappers and one new-newbie, I was pleased no one suffered and incidental incidents. There was a 17 year old on a Duc M900 in the room next to us who road down from the Indy area only to have his dad crash his new Futura at about 30mph. Busted colarbone, 5 ribs and a lacerated lung had him in the hospital for a week while the son had to sit in the motel with his mom. Some were not as fortunate. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts